• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AWOOGA!! MaxPC are back on our threat list! AWOOGA!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_cultie

As of the 6am update MaxPC along with Custom PC and the Russians are on our threat list. If we're not careful we could be knocked down to 7th place very soon :eek: And I for one am not going to sit back and let that happen without some sort of a fight.

I know there is a shortage of bigadv WU's and it really hits our production but overall I think we need something to get us increasing our production through other means.

Let's get the ideas going people!

As of the 6am update MaxPC along with Custom PC and the Russians are on our threat list. If we're not careful we could be knocked down to 7th place very soon :eek: And I for one am not going to sit back and let that happen without some sort of a fight.
9AM says MaxPC has dropped behind again, but they're only 15k daily average behind us.
Let's get the ideas going people!

I could sell 24/7 dedicated folding on i7 930 + 8GB machines for $100/month/machine (your choice bigadv or any number of smp processes) :)

9AM says MaxPC has dropped behind again, but they're only 15k daily average behind us.

I could sell 24/7 dedicated folding on i7 930 + 8GB machines for $100/month/machine (your choice bigadv or any number of smp processes) :)

Better idea - 2600K folding bigadv for $99.99 a month.

If all goes according to plan I'll have another 2600 in action by the weekend, and an sr-2 rig in the pipe within 30 days.

Better idea - 2600K folding bigadv for $99.99 a month.

I'd like to know where you're getting those from, unless you plan on running them out of your own house :) Anyway, it wasn't a very realistic idea. Power costs would be only half that per month, and a few months' payments would buy the hardware outright. I just mention it because I know there are other people operating rented dedicated servers, and if the application running on it is just a hobby or otherwise not critical to some business, throwing some FAH in the background is easy to do.

Could we maybe rent some servers in a hosting cluster for this?

No one's at my school... 25 servers and 350 P4s and C2Ds and 100 i5 based laptops... if only...

If i didn't use my desktop, and if it weren't so hot down here, i'd gladly chunk in my i7 and my 4850. As it is, i can hardly play games easily. :/

I'm not a folder, but I just wanted to thank "the_cultie" for giving me a laugh. Been a long while since I've seen someone say "AWOOGA!" :thup:

Sorry should have my other 2 folders up later this week (Total of 4 2600k's).

Grandfather died recently so computers/folding has been the farthest from my mind. Should be pushing about 200k average if I did my math correct.

I'm not a folder, but I just wanted to thank "the_cultie" for giving me a laugh. Been a long while since I've seen someone say "AWOOGA!" :thup:

No problem, had to use something that would grab people's attention :D

Grandfather died recently so computers/folding has been the farthest from my mind. Should be pushing about 200k average if I did my math correct.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. That'll be great to have 2 more 2600K's up and running. Thanks Bijiont :salute:

Background:
Working with the team stats a few years back, our number of active folders was about 640. Now we're hovering just over 300 hundred (310 atm).

No matter how successful our team is at farming, we can't rely on a few super productive folders (ChasR, HayesK, SFU, Ned, etc.), to move our team away from the likes of TSC! Russia with their 800+ members. We need more actively folding teammates, and we aren't getting them.

We need to partner up with some (perhaps several), manufacturers and/or distributors, of PC gear. EVGA, Overclockers.net, even Hardware Canucks, have done this, all with great success.

Overclocking.com is a great name, but overclocking information is available (even on OCF), quite apart from Folding@Home. We don't get a lot of new folders, because they came here looking for overclocking help.

We need something that will attract new members, and there's nothing as successful as special or discounted prices on new gear. I know Gregorian chanting *seems* like it would attract hordes of FAH enthusiasts, but so far, it hasn't worked. :rofl:

What companies we make arrangements with, what those arrangements will be, and how they'll be implemented, are important details, for later. First, we need to decide whether we want to pursue this, or not. IMO, we either have to move forward with it, or accept becoming a team fighting to stay even, but ultimately on the decline.

I see the excitement that is so evident on the "new gear" teams, when the newest discounted or special gear offer rolls out onto their forum. We need that kind of excitement, to attract and maintain new members. FAH will always be about the cure, but new folders have a choice of thousands of FAH teams. Whether we like it or not, we are in competition for those new members. They are likely to only join one team. Right now, we're not being competitive with the best teams, in recruiting/attracting the new members we need.

Comments most welcome.

Sorry to hear of your loss. It will be tough, but in a year(or two) from now when you look back at the good times with him, it will put a smile on your face.

I also have 4 i7s (3*2600ks + 970 hex) folding right now. Ever since the chimp challenge, it looks like I'm not getting the WUs or the credit fairly often. I don't use monitoring software, so I'm not sure what's wrong. I wasn't getting WUs for a while when the server went down.

You and I should have the same ppd, but I do see you on my threat list... I better get this straightened out! Time to get the new version of HFM!

Background:
Working with the team stats a few years back, our number of active folders was about 640. Now we're hovering just over 300 hundred (310 atm).

No matter how successful our team is at farming, we can't rely on a few super productive folders (ChasR, HayesK, SFU, Ned, etc.), to move our team away from the likes of TSC! Russia with their 800+ members. We need more actively folding teammates, and we aren't getting them.

We need to partner up with some (perhaps several), manufacturers and/or distributors, of PC gear. EVGA, Overclockers.net, even Hardware Canucks, have done this, all with great success.

Overclocking.com is a great name, but overclocking information is available (even on OCF), quite apart from Folding@Home. We don't get a lot of new folders, because they came here looking for overclocking help.

We need something that will attract new members, and there's nothing as successful as special or discounted prices on new gear. I know Gregorian chanting *seems* like it would attract hordes of FAH enthusiasts, but so far, it hasn't worked. :rofl:

What companies we make arrangements with, what those arrangements will be, and how they'll be implemented, are important details, for later. First, we need to decide whether we want to pursue this, or not. IMO, we either have to move forward with it, or accept becoming a team fighting to stay even, but ultimately on the decline.

I see the excitement that is so evident on the "new gear" teams, when the newest discounted or special gear offer rolls out onto their forum. We need that kind of excitement, to attract and maintain new members. FAH will always be about the cure, but new folders have a choice of thousands of FAH teams. Whether we like it or not, we are in competition for those new members. They are likely to only join one team. Right now, we're not being competitive with the best teams, in recruiting/attracting the new members we need.

Comments most welcome.

I think I will have to agree with you there. You just have to look at how large the EVGA folding team got in a short space of time. I know we pride ourselves in the way we operate and how we got a very close knit team :grouphug: but I think we have to look to the future and we must adapt to the new trends.

But saying that I think we should still increase the chanting and rituals too to keep ourselves covered
fantasy-sorcery-01.gif

Talking about money I know a lot of people have to be careful with running costs and what not. I am in the boat where I could afford to run another rig but actually making the capital investment in one is where I have the problem. I did have the crazy idea of sponsored machines or something of that nature where team members help fund a new rig and someone promises to fold 24/7 or something. But how practical that would be is another thing; as I said :screwy: idea, and I'm full of them :ty:

But this is where we need to start, we need to discuss, get as many people on board and start a plan of action.

We are 6th ppd team with 12/13th number of folders. If we did something like EVGA does, we could get a lot of users and ppd. Hell, if Newegg gave 5% off to folders of our team, we'd have waaaay more users than EVGA. 5% is enough to get people interested. Hosting companies could afford to give a bigger discount. I've thought of giving free tech support to people that folded for t32 or me, but in the end realized I didn't feel like helping a bunch of people with their computers.

How hard could it be to get 40 2600ks to get us to the 4th team in production - or 350 to get us into 1st...

Getting 40 systems purchased, is a sizable goal, but then comes the larger goal of getting teammates to pay for the electricity they use, handle the heat they generate, and make the occasional changes that the systems would need from time to time. Also, someone would need to find the space and the extra circuits for these PC's.

I don't know of any practical way to get this, or a greater increase, without using new members to the team.

Heard on the radio today that Pres. Obama's EPA has acted to ban certain coal based electrical generating plants. Impact will be 11% to 23% increase in electrical rates, in the affected service areas. These kind of increases will make all distributed computing projects suffer.

We had a program in the past, to place free systems in homes, with the understanding that they would be folding in the background. It did not work very well. Folding production was minuscule, and we had no control of the system once it was placed in the new home. After awhile, many of them stopped folding entirely.

That awooga got me going. Turned on my folding client (although I kinda forgot how it works). Can't say I'll be a big help, but I suppose every bit helps :bday:

I recall from days gone by with the Seti team we went through similar trials and tribulations. The heavy hitters can't single-handedly sustain and advance the team. What's needed is to attract and retain new members, and keep them active. Without a good mixture of active members the team can be likened to a cinder block wall with some big blocks and no mortar holding it together.

I would suggest as some others have already, that we form some relationships with vendors and offer rewards for contests or something along those lines. Whether we have giveaways or promotional discounts is something we can debate. The arguably more difficult challenge is keeping new folks active over the long haul. A quarterly or semi-annual contest may pick up a few new faces, but once the excitement dies down they may wander off.

I certainly don't claim to be any expert at this, but we might benefit from some of the same marketing techniques I use to retain customers in business - namely top of mind awareness and time/value oriented incentives. Perhaps a few big giveaways and/or discount offers throughout the year, bolstered with a newsletter or some means of reaching out to members and keeping the interest alive. I think we can pull it off but it may take some experimenting to find the most effective formula.

I have one i7 on Rosetta, I wanted to put up some numbers for the team, after a bit it will be back. I can run it one week on fah and the next on Rosie for the summer.

Any ideas for why I wouldn't get the bonus points on my 2600K folding a 6900 with a 26 minute tpf? I'm using the same passkey as I have from day one - I copy pasted from the stanford email and just checked to make sure all the characters copied. That was 80k+ points we didn't get yesterday... Plus one of my other machines that's folding but the points aren't showing anymore - not sure which one. I guess that's 2 machines towards the 40 we need ;)

Any ideas for why I wouldn't get the bonus points on my 2600K folding a 6900 with a 26 minute tpf? I'm using the same passkey as I have from day one - I copy pasted from the stanford email and just checked to make sure all the characters copied. That was 80k+ points we didn't get yesterday... Plus one of my other machines that's folding but the points aren't showing anymore - not sure which one. I guess that's 2 machines towards the 40 we need ;)

Insufficient chanting and rituals? Wrong incantation? :D

I'll be glad to have it checked out. To do that, I need you to post the first 30 or so lines of text from the fahlog.txt file (the very first part, before the steps start being counted), for that work unit, and your client.cfg file from that PC. Both files will be in the FAH directory.

This is something that the mods can do for us, in the FAH forum. You can request it directly as well, if you prefer, here:

http://foldingforum.org/

After sign in, go to the work unit sub-forum and make your request.

Back