• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold feet with Corsair 650HX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunacinense

Registered
This is the build I've just ordered, but I didn't really think much about the power consumption and just went with the 650HX. I'm a bit concerned that things are going to be a bit unstable even before I OC because while it's a decent PSU, it may be too light. If it isn't now, then perhaps years from now? I was thinking the AX750 or 750HX would be a smarter buy.

i5-2500 Sandy stock fan
2x2GB 1600 G.SKILL Ripjaws
EVGA GTX 570
MSI P67A-C43
Sound Blaster
1*7200 SATA
3*200 + 1*120 fans (4 200mm eventually)
I'll occasionally use a DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive, but I never leave it plugged in after I'm done.
Occasional use of an external 7200 SATA

That PSU will be PERFECT for years to come with any single GPU solution, and even some SLI/Crossfire solutions. ;)

Appreciate it fellows and certainly didn't think the 650HX had that much muscle :). Sure was a steal, I must say!

Its not that it has that much muscle, it is what it is (a quality PSU). Its just that a lot of people over estimate their actual power consumption. ;)

Hell you could have gotten away with using that awesome 520HX with the rig you listed. ;)

More than enough, the "SLI power calculator" says i should be running a 1200w PSU in this rig and im running my 950w corsair with 580's SLI'd and this thing doesnt even heat up. The nice thing about corsair is that PSU you bought is actually capable of putting out 800w for a good amount of time without suffering much instability. They always underrate their PSU's to make sure that they can run lower power consumption indefinately.

More than enough, the "SLI power calculator" says i should be running a 1200w PSU

Possibly because PSU companies pay nVidia to put the "SLI Certified" sticker on the PSU because it helps to sell their stuff to the less-than-well-informed, so it gets them more sales, and nVidia obviously wants you to spend lots of money on "SLI Certification", because it gets them royalties from the certification stickers?

LOL, 1200w on a 570?

I would of bought more, as Video Cards's seem to be getting higher and higher power requirements, and I predict this trend to continue, but Corsair has more current then cheaper PSU's who advertise the same wattage.

Back