• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Home integration showcase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
Lets see those home mods. Did you set up a PC based security system? Have you integrated your PC based entertainment system into the structure of your home? Have you set up your home to be centrally controlled by a PC? Did you build a Cinema in an unused room? Did you get tired of desks and wires and decide to integrate workstations into your home?

Post some shots and show off your work here for the world to see.

Because I thought of this

I bought my current home in 2004 with the intent of turning it into what I wanted. It is a large modular home.

Where to start? There was way too much open space in this house to the point of being excessive and it became the gathering place for all family (40+ people seated and eating) events. Me not being the type to have people in my bathroom decided to start my mods by turning the dining room into a theater/bedroom/gameroom and home office on the outside of the room.

I am sure many have seen these pics before but because this is the proper place for it I will post the shots here.

Outside first:

There are no exposed PC power cables, USB or speaker wires. The computers themselves are inside of cabinets and vented to the attic and behind the printer.
1005514.jpg

1005507k.jpg

currentconfig1.png

36915972.jpg

Inside before:

1001198f.jpg

april9th2006093.jpg

april9th2006001.jpg

Inside after:

1002410r.jpg

In that closet:
1007688.jpg

1002397v.jpg

And I added an HDMI pass-through to the server:

1007870.jpg

1007872j.jpg

1007879l.jpg

All of this revolves around the PC and without them it would not be this way.

When I find the rest of my pics I will post some shots of the network cable. It is a pain to run wires in existing structures but it can be done you just need to be prepared to paint or use molding.

wiringm.png

Wiring and reasons for separate lines. I do not use a UPS at present and therefore need a setup like this to prevent errors and shutdowns. When you have a PC on a shared circuit a heavy draw device such as a vac can cause and error or shutdown and I don't want to deal with that if I am working on something important. The workstations are fed by 30A 220-240V while the server and Entertainment side have 20A 110-120V dedicated circuits respectively.

I will be doing an integrated HTPC wall mod soon (I hope) and will be ripping out a section of wall, running power and network cable without painting or trim work. This will show those with interest, minimal tools and budget how to get the job done without tearing your house up and having to remodel the entire room.

Last edited:
May I ask why you have 220-240v circuits for your workstations? I thought those circuits were only used for electric stoves, water heaters, and washer/dryers in the US.

May I ask why you have 220-240v circuits for your workstations? I thought those circuits were only used for electric stoves, water heaters, and washer/dryers in the US.

It is split at the WS area into 2 110 circuits but I can still use the 220 if I need it for any of my stupud ideas. It was also easier than running 2 110-120 lines.

It is split at the WS area into 2 110 circuits but I can still use the 220 if I need it for any of my stupud ideas. It was also easier than running 2 110-120 lines.

Ah, I am not too familiar with electrician thingers. Would have thought you'd need a complicated little black box to split the 220 or something not worth it. :shrug:

I faintly remember some PSU reviews that showed that running the PSUs on 220V upped the efficiency of the PSU vs running on 110. Have you thought of making a dedicated 220 computer outlet?

Ah, I am not too familiar with electrician thingers. Would have thought you'd need a complicated little black box to split the 220 or something not worth it. :shrug:

I faintly remember some PSU reviews that showed that running the PSUs on 220V upped the efficiency of the PSU vs running on 110. Have you thought of making a dedicated 220 computer outlet?

The way I have it wired I can remerge the 2 110 lines externally. There is a breakout box with a 30A 110 breaker for each.

Back