• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI problems on 850w PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChronoCabal

Hello! :)

Right - I managed to pick up a second Gainward 460GS 2GB for a decent price. Popped in in the rig this morning..

Setup in Windows fine, SLi enabled via Nvidia Control Panel.. tried to run Dirt 3.. and immediately lost all power.

Guessing I've found the limit of my PSU? Although it's a dual-rail 850w, which should be enough to handle it, it only has 1 PCI-E connector - the rest are molex bridges. I'm guessing this is the problem? Am I going to have to spend again on a PSu with more PCI-E connectors, or is there anything I can do with my current setup?

the fact it looks like a sub par psu that i doubt actually is capable of giving out 500Watts let alone its "rated" 850 is the bigger issue, replace it if money permits with something of the corsair or sea sonic flavor, 850W is easily enough for your needs.

Just to echo what TheQuadFather wrote. 850w itself is way more than enough for GTX460 SLI. Hell, I was planning on (still do, just haven't gotten around to it) to running GTX480 SLI on an 850w PSU, and those things draw more power than any other single GPU on the market. But that PSU in question, all I could find when searching for "Avenge Power 850w" based off your sig, is a few European sites selling it for £35 - £40, way more than a quality 850w unit should cost. Which in itself leads me to believe it's horrible quality.

Avenge POwer PSU, is likely a POS. A quality 650W PSU would power 2 460's and not break a sweat. Grab another PSU.

Right, thanks guys. Bought a iCute PSU from Maplins here in the UK- it's a 1Kw Quad-Rail, SLi-Certified, modular and with 4 PCI-E connectors. It cost £100.

Hopefully this is should my woes out! :)

Lee

Damn... should have looked at the link in my signature before you bought. Im sorry I didnt point that out to you earlier.

Oh true - I missed that before! Will this iCute one be sufficient? Maplins are a reputable company here in the UK, and thats all they sell PSU -wise.

Oh true - I missed that before! Will this iCute one be sufficient? Maplins are a reputable company here in the UK, and thats all they sell PSU -wise.

Maplin are a good company yes, but their computer components are sub-par, in many of their shops the 260gtx 192sp is a top shelf product in the biggest shiniest box, so i dont really see them as a good component distributor, try ordering offline from shops such as Aria pc or Scan.

The Icute will do fine as long as you use the 4 pcie connectors, it wont even break a sweat, the only problem i've ever seen with them is variance in steady supply under load when nearing max capacity. So if your pulling 950w on it you may see some component damage over a few years time. I have a few 950-1200 corsair PSU's that i got back after the robbery, i might hang on to them but i may put them up for grabs soon. Insurance covered them and they said i could keep the recovered components. If i decide to part with it ill send it your way as long as you pay the shipping.

Well, I've calculated that my rig will use around 750-800w with the 2 cards, so finger crossed it should be ok. I was looking at those PSUs Corsair do - they're very nice - and there's probably a good reason why they're so expensive lol!

I'm being messed around with this iCute one now - may well be back to square one. :( Stupid eBay. Shadowmonk, I doubt I could afford one of yours, second-hand or otherwise! :p

That calculation is wrong. No way would your system, even overclocked, pull more than 600W at the wall. You will be fine.

Personally, if I was you, I would jump on Shadowmonk's offer on those corsair PSU's. ;)

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm getting a refund on the iCute PSU, so I was thinking of getting the Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000 instead. It's on your PSU guide EarthDog, and I can get it new in the UK for £124 posted.

Good decision?

Back