• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg has no return policy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

I got an Agility III 120 gig SSD last week. To say that it is bad is an understatement. I am having pauses rather than stuttering but it has a similar effect, I think that it is trying to reallocate bad sedtors. I clean earased it twice and it has recovered the bad sectors for now but there is more. The AS SSD scores are WAY off what the specs listed claim. The most important being the 4k and 4k 64 thread reads with an overall score of 252. The spec claims: 4K Random Read AS-SSD: 23,000 IOPS (90 MB/s)
4K Random Write AS-SSD: 35,500 IOPS (140 MB/s) while my actuals are:4K Random Read AS-SSD: 4655 IOPS 4K Random Write AS-SSD: 21,549 IOPS, so just a little off.
I requested a RMA requesting another brand as I think that it is a firmware issue and the reply was, I can RMA and it will be tested and I have the option of getting another SSD after testing but only the same exact SSD, no credit no refund no exchanging for another brand. Really? I am pretty sure that this violates state consumer protection laws but even so this is their policy? I find it hard to beleive that you cannot return a defective product and get another brand that isn't.

Last order from Newegg, ever.

Pull up one of the posts from the NewEgg rep that vists the forums here, and email them directly. I've always gotten much better responses emailing someone directly than just going through NewEgg's website.

OCZ has really gone downhill lately. My Original Vertex is still holding up well, but their new stuff just seems to be crap. I haven't heard one good thing in a good while about them. :shrug: Good luck getting this straightened out.

Newegg limits certain items to replacement only. You can see it on the right side of the details tab. I pretty much assume that anything I can't return sucks, but in this case I think all SSDs are replacement only at Newegg.

Newegg limits certain items to replacement only. You can see it on the right side of the details tab. I pretty much assume that anything I can't return sucks, but in this case I think all SSDs are replacement only at Newegg.

Well yes but these is the replacement terms listed
Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

Return for refund within: non-refundable
Return for replacement within: 30 days

Products that state "This item is covered by Newegg.com's Replacement Only Return Policy", or items labeled as “Non-refundable” (or similar labeling) must be returned to Newegg within 30 days of the invoice date for this policy to apply. Products covered by this return policy may only be returned for a replacement of the same or equivalent item. “Return” constitutes receipt of the product by Newegg, and not the mere issuance of an RMA.

As it states same or equivalent item, I think that I have a right to get one that might work and not the same exact one. I was so confident that it will work out I placed another order with them(not an SSD) last night that I was holding back until this was resolved. I'll post back whatever results I do get.

The rep here contacted me today and issued an RMA for refund so I can order another when I get the credit. It's all good now.

Newegg is usually really good about stuff like that. And in this instance, even though the item was return only and they could easily have pointed that out and refused to refund, they refunded anyway. That's why if they maintain this level of service NO order of mine will be my last from Newegg. :)

As for OCZ, I'm hearing more and more bad things myself. In the 120GB range you might look at the Intel 510 series. Anandtech posted a 120GB SSD roundup last week, and the Intel 510 did very well. Should be a more reliable drive based on how manufacturers have been doing in reliability polls over the last year or so.

I have bought 10s of thousands of dollars from them, always treat them as ethically as they treat Me (which is high), and greatly and happily refer people to them.

NewEgg depends on a few things regarding their RMA policy... First is buyer history, if you have bought a ton, and return a few things, they not only accept everything you want, but they also generally send you a UPS label. I never ask for UPS shipping labels but have been offered them a few times. I figure if Its my fault for picking a bad product as much as its their fault for selling it. So I have no problem paying for shipping. Whats more, if I really want a product to be supported, I would pay a professional from a company like JNCS to install and support the product.

I never get anywhere on online chat. Their online chat Customer Service is relationally poor compared to their phone support. But with that saying, their online chat is still leagues better then anyone else.

Sometimes you have to push. Talk to the manager. If you are beign fair, they will be. If your rude at them, dont expect much. They are a highly ethical company, but will not be abused. Treat them as you would like to be treated and they will do the same.

As far as that SSD. I just bought an Intel from JNCS, and payed more for it then from Newegg. JNCS is happy to tell Me what they can get the products for, and the Intel SSD was marked up on NewEgg around $5 (on a $280 drive). Plus NewEgg had a Rebate, I wouldnt of had to pay for tax with NewEgg, etc JNCS could not get near NewEggs price. Though JNCS is a system builder not a reseller and JNCS has saved me thousands though there excellent service.

green jelly made a good point, with many dealers if your returning everything they send you, then expect them to not bend from a policy, expect to get slammed with 15% returning fees and no-return policies that stick.

but if you spend half your life researching , and never buy anything that isnt 100% tested and tried and true, your "balance sheet" with the dealer puts you in the exceptional customer category, and they dont think your going to return things 3 more times, they will bend easier. even give you the shipping. that person actually costs them less and makes them more money, so it is a given that they can bend for them a bit, moneywise.

which only causes the problem of spending half your life researching. and only buying items that have been out and tested, and knowing all the possible problems you can have.

still sux, i loved it when the california trade rule first came out that they MUST take a return on GARBAGE, i could freely purchace things.
Once the vendors discovered the rest of the trade rule "unless the customer is specifically informed of the no-return policy"
i was back to having to spend half my life researching, and basically so much time that i cant really buy anything. it is a Win-Win :)

A cooperative or corporation does pretty good spending half ONE persons life researching, they can then have hundreds of operating computers using that same research. but i only wanted ONE computer that works. so these "corporate accounts" can have a big "balance sheet" and get a lot of respect help and ease.

also i always keep the packaging in one place, keep it really nice, meticulously unpack even those horrible plastic safe bound products, and pefectally re-pack it as best as i can the same way it came to me, make sure i put all the parts and pieces back and the cd and the mounts and wires. Hopefully i wont get creamed when i have to do a return later, because i sent them back a pigpile of junk.
they cant push off on some other fool.
I also ID the actual problem, , was it broken, was it actually DOA, did it accrue failure , or it just doesnt work or fit in only my situation, otherwise it is good.
that works at Frys, when i specifically tell them that the item was 100% dead, they will put it in outgoing , instead of back on the shelf. for somone Just Like Me to buy again :)

Last edited:
i got the very first Agility II when it came out, its still holding up its speed. great SSD for sure, but the newer Agility II's are bad so i got lucky

Back