• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for Airflow Change

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So if heat doesnt rise then how do hot air balloons work? And why is the middle floor always cooler than upstairs?
I think i proved my point...

LOL. :facepalm:
Because warm air weighs less than cool air. Heat doesn't rise, lighter stuff does.

Why does helium rise when it's at the same temp as air? Because helium is lighter than our air we breath which is mostly nitrogen. Look at the atomic weight of helium vs notrogen......

I proved my point..... with science.:rofl:

LOL. :facepalm:
Because warm air weighs less than cool air. Heat doesn't rise, lighter stuff does.

Why does helium rise when it's at the same temp as air? Because helium is lighter than our air we breath which is mostly nitrogen. Look at the atomic weight of helium vs notrogen......

I proved my point..... with science.:rofl:

If you're going to use science as your proof, please use correct science :)

Please refrain from to much LOL'ing at others expense if you could.

We all have to learn this sort of stuff somewhere.

Let's keep this friendly and helpful! Thanks!

Please refrain from to much LOL'ing at others expense if you could.

We all have to learn this sort of stuff somewhere.

Let's keep this friendly and helpful! Thanks!

No joke.

I agree with the guy talking about convection currents.
This would be worth worrying about if you had only one or two fans on a huge case, but this guy has 7 fans. I'm fairly sure he can easily force the air to do absolutely whatever he wants it to do.

No joke.

I agree with the guy talking about convection currents.
This would be worth worrying about if you had only one or two fans on a huge case, but this guy has 7 fans. I'm fairly sure he can easily force the air to do absolutely whatever he wants it to do.
True, but remember that's inside the case. Once the air gets out it follows the rules of natual convection/bouyancy unless he has a way of altering that. The hot air coming out the bottom could be fine. I'm just saying it's worth checking to make sure.

I've seen this problem in data centers as well. If you have the 'hot side' of a row close enough to the inlet of another row the inlet will suck in the warmer air making it tougher to cool the second row. That's where the statement about natural convection being relatively weak comes into play. The air current set up by the intake fans can actually keep the hot air from rising and sucks it in. Nowadays most data centers operate with hot and cold isles. The idea being that the front of rows face each other and the backs do as well. It makes the cooling more efficient. In some cases they will even physically separate the rows floor to ceiling.
hotcold_aisle1.jpg

This type of topic is how I engage my Engineering Education while doing IT work. Sorry if I carry on to much.:D

Back