• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many actually still use 38mm fans (or thicker) on a daily use rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you still run 38mm fans on your daily driver?

• Yes

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • Thicker

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • What's a 38mm fan?

Votes: 28 18.1%

• Total voters

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
Just as the title states, I am wanting to see just how many people still use 38mm thick fans on their daily driver. It seems that there have been a lot of recommendations for Gentle Typhoon fans lately, but I am sure some of us actually like the sound of high performance. I am of the type that feels that something is wrong if a computer is silent, or it is turned off.

I run a set of 3 Panaflo FBA12G12U fans on my radiator, and before that, I was running Delta AFB1212VHE's.

Anyway, what do you run on your daily driver?

The Antec fans that came with the case, and Xigmatek that came with the DK. Running some low speed Scythe in the PSU. It has good static pressure, but it's not a GT.

I'm the opposite of you. If the computer is making noise, something's under a pretty heavy load and needs to be fixed :) That, or i'm playing a game.

I use 38mm fans on my heatsink and the back of the case. I'd use them elsewhere, but it is space-prohibited.

In addition to that, I have three of those 220 CFM Delta fans that I'm itching to bolt to something. Thankfully, I haven't been stupid enough to put them in my desktop computer.

Hey Thid, love the shot of that 3 Delta TFx series bolted together, they look so mean. :rock:

Among so many Delta fan models, personally for the look, really like TF series, it's the blades shape, they look really scary aren't they ? :shock:

Hey Thid, love the shot of that 3 Delta TFx series bolted together, they look so mean. :rock:

Among so many Delta fan models, personally for the look, really like TF series, it's blades shape, they look really scary aren't they ? :shock:

I actually wouldn't mind the setup Navig posted with a pair of GFB's and a TFB, or maybe it was PFB, on an IFX-14.:rock:

I am of the type that feels that something is wrong if a computer is silent, or it is turned off.
I'm the opposite - I feel like something is wrong if I can hear it. :)

I have three Yate Loon low speeds at 7v on the radiator and one of each, also at 7v, as case intake and exhaust. There are two other 80mm low speed fans (Panaflo L1A) at 5v or so as a side intake and under the video card.

I used 38mm fans religiously in the heatercore days, but with a thinner radiator and a focus for silence, there's not much point. They do have great static pressure, but it's pretty difficult to find any that are remotely quiet.

I run my delta triblades on a fan controller and never have any problem with them being too loud. I have to start them at 6-7v but I've run them down to 5V.

Not quite sure how to vote here... I use 4x San Ace 109R1212H101 fans, one on the GPU heatsink and 3 on a GTX360 radiator. I gutted 3 weak 25mm fans for their frames to use as shrouds for the H101's and their huge hub. So, it's kinda like I'm using 63mm fans on the radiator, but only a 38mm on the GPU heatsink.

Not quite sure how to vote here... I use 4x San Ace 109R1212H101 fans, one on the GPU heatsink and 3 on a GTX360 radiator. I gutted 3 weak 25mm fans for their frames to use as shrouds for the H101's and their huge hub. So, it's kinda like I'm using 63mm fans on the radiator, but only a 38mm on the GPU heatsink.

The thicker option was for the fans like the Delta GFB, or mudd's beast, but I can see your point.

Should we count shrouds as part of the fan?:shrug:

Both WC rigs have 6 120x38 Deltas (I have a case of them sitting unopened).

The firewall runs 4 80x 38 Delta Tri blades.

The file server has been converted to more 120x38 deltas.

I can literally be dead out asleep and if the rack goes silent, I wake up. I use the fans to block out I395 though, and dont mind the noise.

Hell my server rack has 11 120x38 AC fans running to exhaust the non PC components.

Once I move, I may cut the CFM load down, but probably not as the rack with be in the basement and wont be within 20 steps of everywhere like the current place I rent.

yes,
I'm currently using 5 38mm thick fans (4 deltas, and 1 san ace), and still plan to add some more:rock:

Should we count shrouds as part of the fan?
It'll get confusing, and has more to do with what you're using the fan for than the fan itself. If you want a thick fan, try the 76mm Delta. :)

I use 4x San Ace 109R1212H101 fans, one on the GPU heatsink and 3 on a GTX360 radiator. I gutted 3 weak 25mm fans for their frames to use as shrouds for the H101's and their huge hub.
Those are great performers, and you can undervolt them well too. After a while the bearing rattle got to me. It's not an ugly rattle, just sort of a tick as the fan turns over. And they move too much air to really be silent, but for some that's a good thing.

Do you guys like the tri-blades? I've always been interested in those.

Among so many Delta fan models, personally for the look, really like TF series, it's the blades shape, they look really scary aren't they ? :shock:
They look insanely sharp and I won't go anywhere near a running one without a guard on it. I got a nasty gouge from a ultra high speed panaflo that was not so fun to clean up, so I can't imagine what these would do going full out. That being said, I have run these at 13.2v, which is what my standalone power supply puts out. They are absolutely vicious.

Do you guys like the tri-blades? I've always been interested in those.
They work quite nicely and tend to undervolt while being quiet. I ran dual 120x38mm tri blade Deltas on my TRUE for years. Full out, they push a ton of air. Lower voltages were not annoying and they kept good pressure. I use the 92x38mm versions in my servers and they are full out all the time.

I use a Sanyo Denki 9SG1212P1G01 on my daily rig and a Nidec Servo G1238B12BBZP-00 on my benching rig. Both are 120x120x38

What is it about this thread that it is attracting all you blue people? I feel outnumbered :chair: :D

I currently have two 38 mm fans (one on CPU and one on GPU) and they are whisper quiet thanks to them being PWM fans. For sheer performance and versatility, PWM Deltas (or San Ace, Papst etc.) blow any Gentle Typhoon out of the water. I'm sure Sebas thinks the same with his mighty 260CFM fans (mine are "only" 150 CFM).

:pics:

twodeltas.jpg

For sheer performance and versatility, PWM Deltas (or San Ace, Papst etc.) blow any Gentle Typhoon out of the water. I'm sure Sebas thinks the same with his mighty 260CFM fans (mine are "only" 150 CFM.

I agree 100%... I don't have any GTs for comparison, but I'm sure that my Nidec running at 1000 rpm will outperform any GT fan going at the same speed by a fair margin.

:pics:

P6142417.JPG
P6142418.JPG

I'm still using a Panaflo L1BX on a PA160 rad, which in on the QX9650 system. Great fan for that rad.

I personally think a lot of people make wayyy to much about running silent fans, but then IMO a silent fan isn't for performance either. It just gets to me when someone posts crying about their temps when they are pushing their proc to the max and expect a high end air heatsink or a simple cpu loop utilizing 1 rad to cool adequately with fans that don't have enough airflow or static pressure. You can't beat physics.

Totally agree with you mud - I just joined the bit-tech forums and have gotten into a couple of arguments for saying that the Akasa Apache spec is utter BS (lol). As you said, people are so desperate to have what doesn't exist - eg an 80CFM fan that operates at 16dB. I used to want the best "silent" performance, but I've come to accept that silence and performance have to happen independently of each other...hence the beastly 38mm fans on a fan controller.

38mm fans FTW!!

Back