• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next gen Xbox debuting in 2012

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And it will cost $900 and they will still take a loss on the product somehow.

My prediction of hardware specs:

An i5 (k) or equivalent processor.
GTX 460 or equivalent graphics card.
500 gb hard drive.

Will probably sell for $600-$800

Last edited:
My prediction of hardware specs:

An i5 (k) or equivalent processor.
GTX 460 or equivalent graphics card.
500 gb hard drive.

Will probably sell for $600-$800

an unlocked processor on an Xbox? ;P

I highly doubt that next gen console will carry last gen equivalent specs.

It'll be a console. It'll milk the less-than-geek majority of console users for as much as it can. Why use expensive latest and greatest hardware, when the vast majority of users have no clue what is actually inside?

It'll be a console. It'll milk the less-than-geek majority of console users for as much as it can. Why use expensive latest and greatest hardware, when the vast majority of users have no clue what is actually inside?

When 360 was released back in 2005 it had more then decent specs considering the technology that was out at the time. If and when the specs are released for next gen consoles I'm sure they will be up to the standards.

As far as milking the consumer I wouldn't go as far as that. You have to keep in mind that this is a product for a mainstream consumer not a dedicated hardcore few that have a high budget to spend. Sure they could make a suped up machine that would blow competition away but at what cost? There have been other companies that tried doing this (Saturn, Neo Geo...) but we all know how they turned out. I bought 360 when it came out simply because I couldn't afford to keep up with PC upgrades anymore and I wanted to play the latest titles. It was a simple choice for me; spend $400-$500 (or what ever they costed when they came out) or shell out $1000+ on new parts. There's no argument that PC games will always be superior when it comes to visuals and customization, but at what price?

but at what price?

A few $$$ every few years to upgrade the graphics cards and CPU (and maybe motherboard). Pretty much the same as a console, if you're satisfied with only running "9000x UltraSuperDuper" settings on games released last week and earlier, and average settings for any games released until you next upgrade.

The one thing consoles have that I like is easy local multiplayer. What I'd like to see on a "next gen" console is multiple display outputs, like a desktop graphics card. Give me four DVI outputs, similar to a desktop card, so four local players can attach four screens instead of being squashed into the corners of one screen.

A few $$$ every few years to upgrade the graphics cards and CPU (and maybe motherboard). Pretty much the same as a console, if you're satisfied with only running "9000x UltraSuperDuper" settings on games released last week and earlier, and average settings for any games released until you next upgrade.

The one thing consoles have that I like is easy local multiplayer. What I'd like to see on a "next gen" console is multiple display outputs, like a desktop graphics card. Give me four DVI outputs, similar to a desktop card, so four local players can attach four screens instead of being squashed into the corners of one screen.

I'm not 100% sure but I think PS3 support dual screens.

Love the feature, shuts off primary power every 30min of game play to run off internal power for 5min. Really? Is that necessary? I can see maybe a small battery backup internally if primary power is lost it could save maybe put the system into a hibernate function but not running the full blown console off the battery for that period of time. Would be silly to have that type of capacitor inside the brick or the unit to supply say roughly 200W of power (16.66W overall) for that period of time. Waste of space and cost inside a console, especially if the power is out the TV won’t be on anyways.

I know its speculation but you'd think someone has some common sense when putting necessary features into a console to not make it cost $1000.

from that link said:
His PS4 concept would also have the console automatically shut off primary power after each 30-minute period of gameplay to draw energy from a rechargeable battery for 5 minutes.

Gimmick. It has to draw MORE energy over that 30 minute period to charge the battery. It'd be better to stick a solar panel on the side of the thing and tell the owner to put it in a window, or fill it with thermocouples that go back to the primary DC capacitor.

Last edited:
I doubt the next gen Xbox will make a debut next E3. The Kinect is too new of an idea to get put on the backburner for the new gen. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.

I think it will be announced not this E3, but the one after that.

Some more big news about Xbox 720:

AMD: Next Xbox to offer Avatar-like graphics
By Hilbert Hagedoorn, July 19, 2011 - 8:58 PM N/A

AMD director of ISV relationships Neal Robison claims Microsoft's next Xbox console will be capable of graphics seen in the movie Avatar.

Additionally, Robison also promises big improvements in artificial intelligence and physics.
Technology company AMD, who supplied the graphics hardware for the Xbox 360, claims that the next Xbox will be capable of the level of graphical detail seen in James Cameron's movie Avatar. Even on PC, that kind of technology just isn't here yet, but AMD claims the Xbox 720 will launch with it.

Robison also mentioned that the A.I. and physics capabilities of the next-gen hardware will allow for every pedestrian in a game such as Grand Theft Auto or Saints Row to have a totally individual mentality, meaning when you shoot a gun or run someone over they don't all just do the same thing. There will be no more mob mentality, where everyone just screams and runs away; every NPC will actually be an individual character.

source: http://www.guru3d.com/news/amd-next-xbox-to-offer-avatarlike-graphics/

I doubt the next gen Xbox will make a debut next E3. The Kinect is too new of an idea to get put on the backburner for the new gen. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.

I think it will be announced not this E3, but the one after that.

I think they will have it ready for E3 2012. I was little skeptical when the news first surfaced about next gen consoles but now there is more news almost every day with more details. As to when the consoles will actually come out that is hard to tell.

I think they will have it ready for E3 2012. I was little skeptical when the news first surfaced about next gen consoles but now there is more news almost every day with more details. As to when the consoles will actually come out that is hard to tell.

Ya.. I'm seeing the same thing RedDragon.

I liked it the spot where they talked about graphics like Avatar... LOL
Nothing can do that in real time, heck it took 30-50 hours to render a single frame. I know what they where trying to say but you think they could of worded it a little better.

I'd say that the graphics will be on par with what is released currently if not have more capacity then right now for both the Xbox and PS. Why? Because its a single system, requiring a fine tuned driver to run the GPU and not multiple ones and at that its only purpose is to run the game, not multiple other screens possibly in the background at one time.

I liked it the spot where they talked about graphics like Avatar... LOL
Nothing can do that in real time, heck it took 30-50 hours to render a single frame. I know what they where trying to say but you think they could of worded it a little better.

I'd say that the graphics will be on par with what is released currently if not have more capacity then right now for both the Xbox and PS. Why? Because its a single system, requiring a fine tuned driver to run the GPU and not multiple ones and at that its only purpose is to run the game, not multiple other screens possibly in the background at one time.

I'm not going to speculate anything until I see it running.

Back