• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next gen Xbox debuting in 2012

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would be quite surprised if we saw something of that magnitude. I imagine that they will make the games look good, but remember when 360 came out the name of the game was making everything smooth/shiny (and still somewhat is, depending on the game).

Hopefully it isnt more than 500 big ones though. Anything more than that, and I am likely to hold off until it is more reasonably priced.

All this talk of next gen consules, but current ps3 and 360 still have a lot of potential, especially ps3, just recall how ps2 games looked the first few years when it came out and how much better they looked the last few years of ps2's life, don't know much about xbox360 as I sold mine after 2 months of ownership, but ps3 definetly has a lot of potential left in it.

Hopefully it isnt more than 500 big ones though. Anything more than that, and I am likely to hold off until it is more reasonably priced.

I don't think the companies are that stupid to do that again (cough Sony).

I'm kinda of excited to see new consoles. But we probably won't get our hands on them for a few more years of course.

I just bought a ps3 about two months ago maybe 3. I just got sick and tired of the upgrade game. I also got sick of barely having anything to play anymore. PC just seems to be getting flooded with mmos (lots of f2p garbage), casual facebook type games, and tons of indie games (which isnt bad but still not great most of the time either). Shooters on pc are still coming but everyone of them feels like a console port and usually run like crap on monster hardware.

I had a 360 for a bit and I just hated it to death. Sold it after about 3 months of having it. Some reason I decided to get a ps3 and I love it play it every night usually some black ops, and just picked up borderlands with all dlc for 20 bucks on psn right now. It's just night to sit down on my couch and play lol, also have a friend over bam split screen online multiplayer on black ops.

Anyway back to the thread lol, I'm excited about ps4 can't wait to hear more about it. I hope it stays somewhat like the ps3 the way it is overall but with of course way better specs. Guess will see soon hopefully.

I also hope in the coming future here they don't go to crazy with all this movement control crap like wii. I just hate that crap give me a controller or the option for it at least.

i know what you mean i hope they dont eliminate regular controller option in the future i just dont see how i will enjoy swinging controller around for few hours, with that being said its good to have a little bit of everything, for example: i loved the way heavy rain used sixaxis feature i enjoyed it (on hardest difficulty), but heavenly sword on the other hand was total crap when using sixaxis, at least it had an option to switch to normal controls. Xbox has some great titles out, but i also sold mine after about 2 months and got ps3, and i love it, i figured with ps3 and pc the only thing i cant play is halo and thats fine with me i never was i big halo fan.

About ps4 and xbox720, i just dont see sony winning this time either unless they become more popular than xbox (thats what microsoft did to ps3 after they lost to ps2), sony needs to release their next gen consule before xbox comes out and at least match its price, then perhaps sony will gain back the popularity it had with ps2 because we all know sony consule quality will win out over Microsofts xbox, as long as the price is close and ps4 comes out first the games will follow, that is exactly how xbox beat ps3 and sony didnt help them self's by realising $500-$600 ps3 exactly when Nintendo realised $250 Wii with first ever motion controls, and xbox360 which was $300-$400 at that time already had bunch of popular games, i dont know what sony was thinking but they set them self's up for failure, hopefully they learned something! and that is that most people will buy $300-$400 consule with out blueray and crapier quality than $500-$600 most sophisticated gaming consule with all the features you can think of and sonys amazing quality, i know its sad because ton of people ended up buying 2,3 or even more 360's because of their overheating issue which cost them way more than ps3, but thats the way it is with general public, i dont think we will see such a huge difference in cost/features between xbox720/ps4, sony's next gen consule still might be more expansive but it will be much much closer to microsoft's xbox720.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1176197p1.html

Some really exciting news. Can't wait to see what the next gen Xbox and PlayStation will look like. Only info so far its that it will be using DX11 for its games.
I wonder what they will base their gpu on. The wii u is being released around the same time and the wii u will use a gpu based on the 4850. the wii u will be a dated pos just like the wii was.

lol, what an idiot. first off it will not have a 4K2K display. the ps1 and ps1 used old tv tech and the ps3 supports 1080p. It will be a 1080p machine. there arent many tv models that are above 1080p and the ones that are still can only see 1080p on them as bluray is only 1080p and i have not heard of a single us cable company broadcasting any higher than 1080p. keep dreaming, it wont happen for at least another 10 years.

lol, what an idiot. first off it will not have a 4K2K display. the ps1 and ps1 used old tv tech and the ps3 supports 1080p. It will be a 1080p machine. there arent many tv models that are above 1080p and the ones that are still can only see 1080p on them as bluray is only 1080p and i have not heard of a single us cable company broadcasting any higher than 1080p. keep dreaming, it wont happen for at least another 10 years.

Ummm, next gen TV's (OLED and Laser) will be running on quad HD resolution and that's what their aiming at.

I liked it the spot where they talked about graphics like Avatar... LOL
Nothing can do that in real time, heck it took 30-50 hours to render a single frame. I know what they where trying to say but you think they could of worded it a little better.

I'd say that the graphics will be on par with what is released currently if not have more capacity then right now for both the Xbox and PS. Why? Because its a single system, requiring a fine tuned driver to run the GPU and not multiple ones and at that its only purpose is to run the game, not multiple other screens possibly in the background at one time.

Sony hyped the same thing when PS2 and PS3 were coming out.

In the PS2 days, they hyped it can render the CG film, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within. Nvidia boasted the same thing that the GeForce3 can render the same movie, which they successfully showed, but the resolution/detail was super low and ran super slow....

Sony hyped the same thing when PS2 and PS3 were coming out.

In the PS2 days, they hyped it can render the CG film, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within. Nvidia boasted the same thing that the GeForce3 can render the same movie, which they successfully showed, but the resolution/detail was super low and ran super slow....

In other words, take everything that these companies are saying at this point with one of these:

grain-of-salt.jpg

mmm i had salt with my eggs for dinner.

i heart salt.

any way what a laser TV, saw it mensioned with the 4k by 2k mumbo jumbo

Sony lost me with their customer service after I had my third PS3 failure. I'll never buy Sony again, don't give a damn how great they could make the next gen.

Back