• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next gen Xbox debuting in 2012

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sony lost me with their customer service after I had my third PS3 failure. I'll never buy Sony again, don't give a damn how great they could make the next gen.

Oh yeah?

Microsoft lost me after it took me two MONTHS, and twenty calls to get them to stop charging my credit card after I sold my 360.

...but I'd still buy another one. I'd just never be stupid enough to give ANY game company that's not called "Valve" my credit card number again.

Until recently ALL the 360s and PS3s SUCKED design-wise. And customer service? You may be too young to remember that, in the beginning, Microsoft was trying to pretend like the RROD wasn't even REAL.

So the only company that gets any "street cred" for customer service is NINTENDO.

I just hope these idiots have learned something about heat dissipitation. (Why the hell would you have a CPU facing DOWNWARD... and a fan blowing hot air UP towards the damned CPU and GPU?)

Xbox 720 in 2012?

No chance...

Sony's online service is bad. I loved MGS4 and Killzone 2 but they weren't enough to keep me with the console, despite being excellent games. I could never play a full MP of Killzone without getting the boot from a bad connection, where-as on XBL I never get kicked.

I don't think we'll see the next Xbox in 2012 though, I think an early 2013 date would be reasonable. THe main reason is MS announced Halo 4 and said it would be on the 360 and it comes out next year, I'd think if the next Xbox is coming out next year they'd announce Halo 4 as a launch title for it, that way you'd get a huuuuuuuuuge amount of people to make the move over to the new Xbox and demand would be through the roof. Halo is one of those games that sells tons and tons of consoles.

I never had trouble with Microsoft. I bought my 360 at launch and when I started having trouble with ring of death, called them up, explained the problem and they sent me a new console. I think it was year or two latter when I started having trouble with that one as well and my warranty was well beyond expired, but they sent me a new console anyways.

I've only had my PS3 Slim for about month now. Hopefully nothing goes wrong with it since its running CFW.

Sony's online service is bad. I loved MGS4 and Killzone 2 but they weren't enough to keep me with the console, despite being excellent games. I could never play a full MP of Killzone without getting the boot from a bad connection, where-as on XBL I never get kicked.

I don't think we'll see the next Xbox in 2012 though, I think an early 2013 date would be reasonable. THe main reason is MS announced Halo 4 and said it would be on the 360 and it comes out next year, I'd think if the next Xbox is coming out next year they'd announce Halo 4 as a launch title for it, that way you'd get a huuuuuuuuuge amount of people to make the move over to the new Xbox and demand would be through the roof. Halo is one of those games that sells tons and tons of consoles.

I disagree (SPECIFICALLY to the charge of online service in Killzone being bad.) I bought Killzone the day it came out and, despite spotty internet, NEVER had a problem being disconnected.

I don't think I was ever disconnected ONCE in Killzone 2... out of about 1,000 or 2,000 plays online. I did experience lag and disconnections on BC2 (with a worse connection). But killzone 2? never
I never had trouble with Microsoft. I bought my 360 at launch and when I started having trouble with ring of death, called them up, explained the problem and they sent me a new console. I think it was year or two latter when I started having trouble with that one as well and my warranty was well beyond expired, but they sent me a new console anyways.

I've only had my PS3 Slim for about month now. Hopefully nothing goes wrong with it since its running CFW.

Those two dead consoles are problems with Microsoft. :p

Your slim should be fine (YLODs with slims are rare.) They also have a new slim 360.

I was a FOOL for not trading in my fat for a slim when I had the chance (Gamestop promotion.) I wanted to... but I'd had SO many other things going on in my life that I never got around to it. Oh well... if I'd done that I never would've learned how to do a reflow! :D

I'm on my 5th Xbox :)

I have the newer 360 with the 250GB HDD. This one I got because I wanted it though, not because my last broke I just traded my last one in for the new one.

But the 3 I had before then all broke, luckily I had the Best Buy replacement plan. If my 360 broke I just take it in to BB, they turn it on to make sure the red rings come up and then they'd let me pick a new one off the shelf.

I'm on my 5th Xbox :)

I have the newer 360 with the 250GB HDD. This one I got because I wanted it though, not because my last broke I just traded my last one in for the new one.

But the 3 I had before then all broke, luckily I had the Best Buy replacement plan. If my 360 broke I just take it in to BB, they turn it on to make sure the red rings come up and then they'd let me pick a new one off the shelf.

Yeah. I had a similar plan with Gamestop.

HORRIBLE design on both those AND the fat PS3s. In terms of heat... I have NO idea what they were thinking.

I had a good warranty on the PS3 as well (first one wouldn't turn on with the controller so I took it back the next day and they gave me another one), unfortunately it gave me no trouble til I moved to Spain.

I've still got my original fat(60gb) PS3 and I've never had any problems with it. And I dont' use it all that much. I've had it a couple years but until recently I've mostly used my PC for multiplayer gaming. But I've changed that because for me..my connection/hardware/whatever..I have a hard time playing MW2 on line through Steam. I don't know what it is, but it takes soooo long to get into a game and when I do mostly it seems--to me--that its often a bit of a hackfest haha. And that gets tiring. So I play MW2 on the PS3 and its great. Sure pic is not as good etc and I suck with any and all console controllers---too many or not enough thumbs--I use a FragXShark? or whatever because its somewhat mouse-like in the aiming. Can't aim with OEM controller if people keep moving--stop moving--stand still damnit. Only problems i find here in Northern Calif with Comcast connection is that some days even with four green bars on my PS3 Black Ops games or etc..I keep getting killed by invisible opponents--until I see all in the kill cam. I'm just not getting all the data. They see me just fine..but I only see them in the kill cam. I keep switching to different groups of players until hopefully it improves. Sometimes yes/sometimes no/and sometimes its just not a problem at all.

I've still got my original fat(60gb) PS3 and I've never had any problems with it. And I dont' use it all that much. I've had it a couple years but until recently I've mostly used my PC for multiplayer gaming. But I've changed that because for me..my connection/hardware/whatever..I have a hard time playing MW2 on line through Steam. I don't know what it is, but it takes soooo long to get into a game and when I do mostly it seems--to me--that its often a bit of a hackfest haha. And that gets tiring. So I play MW2 on the PS3 and its great. Sure pic is not as good etc and I suck with any and all console controllers---too many or not enough thumbs--I use a FragXShark? or whatever because its somewhat mouse-like in the aiming. Can't aim with OEM controller if people keep moving--stop moving--stand still damnit. Only problems i find here in Northern Calif with Comcast connection is that some days even with four green bars on my PS3 Black Ops games or etc..I keep getting killed by invisible opponents--until I see all in the kill cam. I'm just not getting all the data. They see me just fine..but I only see them in the kill cam. I keep switching to different groups of players until hopefully it improves. Sometimes yes/sometimes no/and sometimes its just not a problem at all.

You not having problems with your playstation DIRECTLY coincides with you not using it much. You're probably only a few MW2 sessions away from YLOD.

Make sure you have your PS3 ***STANDING*** that way the fan isn't just blowing the heat back onto the CPU/GPU (which is what causes the YLOD).

Mine is standing right now. The fan is on high, and it's blowing cool air. I doubt that I'll get another YLOD. I monitor the temps pretty closely now.

Oh yeah?...

...And customer service? You may be too young to remember that, in the beginning, Microsoft was trying to pretend like the RROD wasn't even REAL.

So the only company that gets any "street cred" for customer service is NINTENDO.

I never said I was buying an xbox either. My first console was NES so I may be older than you think.

But we are on the same page when it comes to the lack of customer service from these companies. It's not like these things are cheap throw-away toys. When I shell-out that kind of money I at least expect some support when something does malfunction. If only nintendo would calm-down with the gimmick-based designs and make a console that I want. Last nintendo I bought was the 64. They've still got me on the hand-helds though.

You not having problems with your playstation DIRECTLY coincides with you not using it much. You're probably only a few MW2 sessions away from YLOD.

Make sure you have your PS3 ***STANDING*** that way the fan isn't just blowing the heat back onto the CPU/GPU (which is what causes the YLOD).

Mine is standing right now. The fan is on high, and it's blowing cool air. I doubt that I'll get another YLOD. I monitor the temps pretty closely now.

Ya for sure, mine has always been standing. I've got it mixed in with my PC stuff so "standing room only etc". But you know, for sure people have had problems, but me and many other PS3 people have been unscathed. So? It just works that way. I don't know why.

Ya for sure, mine has always been standing. I've got it mixed in with my PC stuff so "standing room only etc". But you know, for sure people have had problems, but me and many other PS3 people have been unscathed. So? It just works that way. I don't know why.

Well with you it's because:

1. You've had it standing
2. You haven't used it much.

Thats really all it takes.

Mine was flat its whole life, so the YLOD was inevitable. I had it in a poorly ventilated space for like a week and POOF.

Now its standing, basically in the center of the room... AND i've got a fan blowing on it. (Taking no chances.)

Is it me or has the console development cycle really slowed down? I feel like SNES->N64->Wii and Sega Genesis->Saturn and PSX->PS2 and Dreamcast were all so close to each other. Then we had to wait quite a while for PS2->PS3 and Xbox->Xbox 360. And even longer now...

proof?

I figure it would be announced at E3, but maybe it will be announced earlier and then be testable at e3?

Has anyone heard about the features? Are they gonna step up resolution? Or make some sort of similar "big time" improvement in graphics? At one time these consoles had better graphics than most PC's, and of course that has totally reversed in the modern era. But it seems to me the graphics on the console are way overdo for a "stepup".

Has anyone heard about the features? Are they gonna step up resolution? Or make some sort of similar "big time" improvement in graphics? At one time these consoles had better graphics than most PC's, and of course that has totally reversed in the modern era. But it seems to me the graphics on the console are way overdo for a "stepup".

I think it will support all current HD resolution out of box and I'm 100% sure that it will also support next gen resolutions as well.

As far as graphics go they will probably be a step up from current PC/console and from what I have read that Microsoft working on some kind of new innovative way to play the games on 720.

Feature wise there are rumors that it will run on Win 9.

I think it will support all current HD resolution out of box and I'm 100% sure that it will also support next gen resolutions as well.

As far as graphics go they will probably be a step up from current PC/console and from what I have read that Microsoft working on some kind of new innovative way to play the games on 720.

Feature wise there are rumors that it will run on Win 9.

I hope you're right. That all sounds good and resonable to me. I dont' have an XBox--got a PS3, but I suppose I could get an XBox or expect Sony's next PS4? to pretty much match XBox improvements.

Back