• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 939 or socket 775?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I'm at a standstill currently trying to decide whether to go with socket 939 or socket LGA775 for an XP machine, and figured I'd ask for some input and/or a second opinion.

Originally I was planning to upgrade my XP box from a socket 754 single core processor with 2GB of ram to a dual-core socket 939 chip with 2-4GB of ram. Recently though I came into some S775 hardware, a C2D chip w/stock heatsink/fan and some DDR2 ram, at which point I figured I'd buy a S775 board to at least test the chip and ram to see if they were working.

So, that's the background of my current dilemma, and brings me to some questions.
1. Would I really see that great of a performance difference between going with DDR vs. DDR2?
2. Any particular reasons to go with S775 over S939, other than the obvious support for DDR2 memory?
3. Anything else I'm missing here?

parts availability for 1 . and even 775 parts are gettin more scarce these days , you can find them but at a price , sometimes double of the i3,5,7 and ddr3 , I mean 4gig ddr3 44bux shipped , have not checked ddr2 in a long time .
Get teh 775 board , and dont look back . I was an AMD fanboy for a long time , I happen to run and build intels atm.
just my 2¢

+1 on the price issue. A single stick of decent DDR 1gb ram is like 55-60 bucks! DDR2 is a bit more reasonable so if you can find a decent 775 board and cpu, grab it.

+1 on the price issue. A single stick of decent DDR 1gb ram is like 55-60 bucks! DDR2 is a bit more reasonable so if you can find a decent 775 board and cpu, grab it.

Actually a 1GB stick of DDR isn't quite that bad, I usually get mine for $15-20 used off ebay.

I can get a 2GB kit for $30-50 usually, sometimes lower. I only paid $30 for my 2GB kit of Corsair value select.

I think the retail price on a 1 gig stick of DDR is usually around $35-40.

I actually have a board and CPU in both S775 and S939, the only question is which to keep and which to sell.

CPU is an E4400 (SLA3F), so a little low-end on the speed.

Actually a 1GB stick of DDR isn't quite that bad, I usually get mine for $15-20 used off ebay.

I can get a 2GB kit for $30-50 usually, sometimes lower. I only paid $30 for my 2GB kit of Corsair value select.

I think the retail price on a 1 gig stick of DDR is usually around $35-40.

I actually have a board and CPU in both S775 and S939, the only question is which to keep and which to sell.

CPU is an E4400 (SLA3F), so a little low-end on the speed.

Yes sorry I was referring to new pricing. Crazy pricing though nonetheless..

For the record, I ended up keeping both the 939 and the 775, at least for now.

I made the socket 775 system into my main computer, the 939 I use for benching, boint hunting, as a backup computer, and because they are just so much fun to overclock on (also the parts are getting cheaper these days so I'm not nearly as worried about burning out a CPU or something else on an older platform). The 775 is a little cheaper on memory though, as 4GB's of DDR2 is about the same price as 2GB's of DDR. Also, even at the same core speed (or with the 939 at a higher core speed for that matter) the 775 was noticeably faster, so it made sense to make it my main computer.

I don't know maybe I'm just sick in the head, but I like overclocking on these older AMD systems a little better than on my newer 775. Just too easy on the 775, at least with the 939 there is more of a challenge to it.

Back