• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zombie01

Registered
My current PSU is in my sig. I'm wondering if it would hurt the PSU to cut and cap wires that aren't being used. It's not modular otherwise I would just unplug the cables that are in the way.

It won't care at all.

Makes future expansion kind of difficult though.

Good deal. I really don't plan on doing future expansion outside of another vid card but a modular PSU is definitely in my future soon.

Good deal. I really don't plan on doing future expansion outside of another vid card but a modular PSU is definitely in my future soon.

James,

If you are sure to add another vid card, you won't need a big modular, you'll use nearly all of your cables anyhow on that Corsair GS800. (I hate to see unused cables cut on a decent power supply). :-/

Cutting the wires should not effect a Corsairs warranty... They are amazing at warranties. Give them a call, I am sure they will say go for it, just dont call them if you cut the wrong one or need another in the future.

might as well just leave it alone...just do some cable management and you wont be able to notice it once you have made that choice.. just a plain friendly advice..

I'm currently working on a NZXT PSU for room in a mITX case. I've cut a Molex and SATA cable off completely and I plan on cutting 9" off of the 24pin, 12" off the 6pin PCIe, and 6" off of the 4pin CPU power. During this process I'm going to sleeve some cables too. This should clean up the case pretty good and allow for better airflow.

Back