• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Seasonic M12II 620w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SHODAN

It looks like I need a new PSU after all, as my old backup doesn't spin up a fan while bridging green-black on the ATX.

The Seasonic M12II 620w is not in the approved list, but other Seasonic units are, and this looks like what I need for $100 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-80Plus-M12II-620-BRONZE/dp/B003HE260I

Is this a good choice? Specifically I need a very quiet high quality PSU; power should not be a problem.

If the quality or noise of the M12II is in doubt, I could get the Corsair HX650 for $116 shipped after MIR. This appears to be similar, other than a two year longer warranty.

Is there anything else I should consider? I prefer a modular cable design.

Edit:

Looking at the five to seven year warranties, I realize that if the company stays in business, I may have this PSU longer than any other component I am buying this year. Though I don't need the power now, I think it may be wise to spend another 30% ($130 w/ MIR) and get the HX750. Is this a reasonably "future proof" choice? It should be enough for dual graphics cards or anything else fairly common, right?

Last edited:
It's SeaSonic. Chances are if it has that name on it, it'll pump out more than it's rated for. :) I say go for it. You almost can't go wrong with those guys.

I own a Seasonic.

Seasonic is a nice company. Mine is a 700w unit that is around 3-4 years old. Back then it was one of the better PSU's. I turn the switch, I push a button, I get power... What more can a man ask for? Well that and it has a backup fan:)

It still holds a great reputation, but new companies like Corsair seem to be drawing all the attention.

It looks like I need a new PSU after all, as my old backup doesn't spin up a fan while bridging green-black on the ATX.

The Seasonic M12II 620w is not in the approved list, but other Seasonic units are, and this looks like what I need for $100 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-80Plus-M12II-620-BRONZE/dp/B003HE260I

Is this a good choice? Specifically I need a very quiet high quality PSU; power should not be a problem.

If the quality or noise of the M12II is in doubt, I could get the Corsair HX650 for $116 shipped after MIR. This appears to be similar, other than a two year longer warranty.

Is there anything else I should consider? I prefer a modular cable design.

Edit:

Looking at the five to seven year warranties, I realize that if the company stays in business, I may have this PSU longer than any other component I am buying this year. Though I don't need the power now, I think it may be wise to spend another 30% ($130 w/ MIR) and get the HX750. Is this a reasonably "future proof" choice? It should be enough for dual graphics cards or anything else fairly common, right?

Shodan,

Go for it. The Seasonic just wasn't submitted for testing. It's the bigger brother of the M520, which is on the list, so I'm sure it would be on the list if submitted.

The Corsair HX750 is fine too, it may even be a Seasonic OEM, I can't keep track. That one will keep you running with anything you want to throw at it (SLI)

I believe these are basically S12's, but modular. Seasonics are often a little more expensive than alternatives, but in this case you're getting what you pay for. It'll last you a long time, and Seasonic PSUs come with a 5-year warranty. It's a great PSU.

I LOVE MY SEASONIC! If I was a woman I would marry it and have its little hybrid Human/PSU children.

LOL... Actually I was just talking to the guys over at the local computer builder http:\\JNCS.com and mentioned that I had a Seasonic. They said they don't use them in their systems because of availability problems. They Loved the units, just could not get the quantity they wanted/needed on the time schedule they required. Made me feel a little more safe after seeing a box for a 1200w PC Power and cooling unit...

^ PC Power and Cooling is another rock solid brand. They're very good. And expensive.

PC Power and Cooling is the top of the line, no compromise PSU. Their prices, support, reliability and lifespan reflect that. I would be surprised if My PC Power and Cooling is not running in 15 years... But In 15 years they will probably introduce new standards... Maybe a 24 volts line, lol

I was very impressed by PC Power and Cooling support, when I called with a technical question and was forwarded to the chief engineer at the company. Their PSU also had an amazing "hold time" in that when there was a minor power glitch where lights blinked, clocks reset to 12:00, the monitor would flick off and on, the computer stayed running. That is something neither previous PSUs nor my Corsair HX520 could do.

Nevertheless, the "old backup" that stopped working is in fact a PCP&C Turbo-Cool 475 ATX. It might be as simple as a fuse or something, but it is out of warranty now, and I don't have time to try to fix it before needing a new PSU.

I ended up ordering a Corsair AX750 for $140 w/ MIR, because with a seven year warranty I hope to use it in whatever I build four years from now, and I want extra headroom. This build is $200 over budget now, but so be it.

Last edited:
Of course Give one too PC Power and cooling as the failure did not fry your machine when it failed.

Yea, I think Corsair has pushed the bench marks on what is acceptable and what is not in every business they get into. Lets hope they start making motherboards, because those company's suck at customer support. When they do enter the markets they have, all of the competitors have to fight to improve their customer service, extend their warranty, improve their products, and drop prices... Remember the "Good Ole Days" of purchasing RAM before Corsair?

Then again, Corsair sold me a set of Memory that had bad Thermal Epoxy Applied. The heat sinks on all 4 modules fell off (each one taking a chip with it), and one of them fried My Motherboard. Corsair did not replace the motherboard, but did send a few thousand dollars of Ram to my house:) I did hear a momentary slip that a new employee failed at properly mixing the epoxy and sent out a bad batch.

Back