• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which OS for an Aging System?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

I believe my signature is updated, but if not here is what I have:

AMD Opteron 170, Socket 939
2GB Kingston Hyperx DDR400
ATI x1900gt, PCIex
Corsair 520W Power Supply
1 750GB SATAII Hard Drive

I typically run just the basic stuff: Internet, Word, Music, Movies. I do occasionally do some video encoding, DVD/CD authoring, audio encoding. I game to what extent my hardware allows me which I suppose means I can play stuff as new as Fallout3 or New Vegas (medium to low settings). I also have a slew of external devices such as Ipod, various smartphones, cameras and other such devices. I also use it for quite a bit of media sharing, so streaming video to my TV via my Playstation or I will hook the computer directly to my TV.

Trouble is, I've come to a crossroads with Windows. For the longest time I was running XP and loving it. I tried XP x64 with mixed results. Then I moved to Vista. Initially, like everyone, Vista was terrible. But after a few updates/service pack I came to really like Vista and that was the most recent OS I've been running. I recently tried Windows 7 and was on the fence about it. At this point in the game, my hardware is getting dated and saying money is tight is an understatement. So, I have a copy of all three OS's and I have a beginner knowledge of Linux.

Manufacturers have started phasing out my hardware. ATI has moved my card to legacy status! :eek: I use the onboard NIC and soundcard and I just found out that my MOBO manufacturer (ePoX) is now defunct. So, long story short, drivers and support is becoming scarce. I would say go back to Vista but even then, drivers seem to be buggy. What is the consensus amongst the fellow OC'rs for an aging geek like myself? I would be willing to accept Linux as an answer, but that kinda kills everything I know about computer software and severely hinders the usage of my computer, which is pretty heavy.

1. Partition Hard drive
2. Install Windows XP first on D Drive
3. Install Windows 7 second on C drive.

Switch between default operating systems using EasyBCD 2.1 Beta
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642

Image one operating system from the other and vice versa.
If one of them hick-ups, you reboot into the other and reimage it in a jiffy.

Use both Windows XP and Windows 7. I used Windows 7 for a long time but then found myself switching back to Windows XP because for work I need to group files and folders on different parts of the screen and Widows 7 cannot do that.

Back in the day I multi booted with Windows 9x/Me/XP.
Sometimes a file wouldn't open or work in Windows XP and I would reboot into Windows 9x/Me and opened it there. Rather than spending time diagnosing the problem, just reboot and try it in another operating system. Later on you can try to figure out the source of any problem when you have time - on your own terms.

Bottom line: With dual booting you are not a hostage to individual OS problems. Good luck.

Well, since you posted in the MS section I wasn't going to mention Linux, but you did, so...

as you mentioned, driver support is thin, but Linux 'should' cover the bases for your legacy hardware. I have two socket A rigs and a PII & PIII running Linux, with no hardware driver issues.

If money is tight, the price of Linux should be attractive, not to mention all the open source software that is yours, for the taking. OpenOffice or LibreOffice are full featured productivity suites that rival MS Office, but are free-gratis.

-not tryin' to "recruit", just mentioning alternatives...

Theres no harm in suggesting alternatives. I am totally opem to trying a new OS but i want to be sure of the capabilities and availability for software amd drivers to meet my needs. I havw considered a dual boot but im not sure i want to make this setup any more complex tham need be. I ultimately want a reliable, stable and functional computer. Ill maybe keep a second hard drive around with an os installed that i can use as a playground. When the time comes to catch back up with technology it will a entirely new system outright.

If you have a copy of all of the OSes I don't see much reason to worry about changing OSes then. Also, with 2gb of memory there isnt any reason for You to use a 64bit OS.

I'd setup a dual boot incase you run into driver issues with Windows 7. If youare interested in Linux try a livecd of a distro you are interested in first.

Striker

I have sitting behind me, an Epox 9npa + Ultra in a case and ready to have Pfsense tossed on it (if that fails, Ill pull some NICS and use it for a Mint box).

Honestly, that rig is fully capable of running 7 with minimal issues. As a suggestion, drop a PCie 1x Intel NIC in if you can and you will be surprised how much better the rig will be responding.

I am moving all of my legacy gear excluding one laptop to Linux Mint and not minding it at all. I am recovering a drive right now while I type this. Toss in a spare HDD and load Debian flavor of choice on to the rig. Depending on what all you have on the rig, you might want to look at making it a file/VM box if you have another system to work with while you learn.

YMMV

By far 7 is the best MS OS ever, it will run fine on your system and recognize all your plug in devices. I just upgraded my daughters A8NE to a 955 BE, Asus mobo and 4 gigs of DDR3 for 250.00, put it on bill me later and will pay 10.00 a week on it with no interest. I doubt that any of the old stuff from her system is even worth the shipping cost.

Back