• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Laptop: Anything I should know?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kiwi in the USA

Registered
So my new laptop will be arriving pretty soon, it's an HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition but it has been heavily modified. I've never owned a laptop before, only desktop pcs.

Is there anything I should know about before it arrives? Anything that I should do straight away or is it basically just the same? I know that I'll be removing most of the junk that comes with the computer (All those little annoying HP programs and games).

:D

Hi Kiwi,

Generally speaking, no, not really. It's basically just the same from a software perspective, but in a different hardware form factor.

Enjoy your new laptop!
-JT

The only thing you dont want to do with it, is use it on your bed, or any soft surface that may block airflow. I'm sick of telling my girlfriend off for doing it! :( lol

The only thing you dont want to do with it, is use it on your bed, or any soft surface that may block airflow. I'm sick of telling my girlfriend off for doing it! :( lol

Ah, this is a good one, forgot to mention that. If you've got a flat hard surface (piece of plywood, or whatever) then you can put your laptop on that, then put it on the bed for airflow.

Those laptop 'stands' also work OK.

Dont expect stellar gaming performance (with any laptop!), and save up for an SSD if you don't have one already.

The CPU's in those are very powerful though

... want the best performance boost... wipe the hdd when you get it, and put a bare fresh install of win 7 on it... HP typically has TONS of bloatware and extra background programs running from the factory.

what i would do, boot up on factory image, make restore dvd's just in case down the road, then install win 7 using the key on the bottom of the laptop for a nice bare OS install... u will love life.

Expect horrifc cooling performance. Actually, ignore that. HP tends to do good cooling I find (on the models I've owned). But the lack of a windows 7 cd and poopy recovery disks, formatting is a pain. And because of that, I'm not interested in grabbing a HP laptop, or any laptop for those matters, that don't include a windows cd.

And do exactly what nd4spdhb2 said.

Last edited:
Back