• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth adding more ram ????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimleeds

Registered
hello i've got an old laptop my misses uses for a bit of web browsing but the time it takes to turn on is out of this world it will take around 3 minutes before you get any response from the mouse click when its on and running its not too bad it loads web pages quick enough for her,it only has 256mb of ram but i can take this up to 1gb for 22 pound, will this help with the start up times or am i just wasting my money the laptop is a toshiba L10-273 any advise would be great thanks

256MB of ram is low. Wow. Adding more will help out moving around windows and such, and maybe boot times if its paging out upon boot up (likely).

It cant hurt anything, though Im not sure its exact effect on boot.

256mb is about the minimum for a decent experience on Windows XP. XP will benefit a lot from the upgrade, and Vista or Windows 7 will benefit much more. I'd say it's definitely worth it if it's only 22 pounds.

Cheers guys ive ordered the ram i had a look to see what was killing the speeds turns out it was avg anti virus

Back