• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP pro hangs during startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooziewhatsit

hey all,

I recently installed some aspi drivers and now when I boot up XP pro, from the time I enter my password to when all of my programs load, it takes about 40 seconds. It was taking about 50, but then I reinstalled the via 4-in-1 drivers under 2k compatibility mode.

I've tried taking all of my other devices out to see if that would help, it doesn't. Once I've booted up, I can log out, then log back in without the big delay. I've checked my hard drive settings to make sure they didn't get set to pio.

If anyone knows a way that I can fix this, please let me know.

thanks,

btw, I got the aspi drivers from http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=219

I think it's normal. XP is still loading up drivers. If you have, for example, broadband and use your NIC XP takes an additional minute or so to load that up once it's past the log-in screen. Same goes for modems. ASPI drivers gave it an additional thing to load up.

If you try to add/remove programs XP will tell you that windows is in the middle of loading drivers and can't continue until the current task is finished.

hmm, that could be. I've heard about that before. I should try making a static IP instead of getting it from the server every time I boot.

I recently played around with my profile, and I think that might be what it is. I created a couple new profiles, and had it log into those after booting. The other profiles loaded a lot faster (several seconds, compared to 40) than my normal profile. Once I get time I'll play around some more and see what happens.

thanks

Back