• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of buying a refurbished...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Domino

I'm going to be selling my school tablet and grab a laptop. Luckly, there is a gaming laptop that will fall into my budget once the laptop is sold.

Refurbed laptop: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220794

Then with this laptop I could have something to game over the summer with until next year. But it is a refurbish and there is a bunch of reviews saying that their is refurbish problems with it. How well does newegg deal with things like this?

I wouldn't really class that as a gaming laptop - it will be fine for most games because the screen resolution is pretty low but don't expect to play every game maxed out.

Do you really need the portability of a laptop?

I wouldn't really class that as a gaming laptop - it will be fine for most games because the screen resolution is pretty low but don't expect to play every game maxed out.

Do you really need the portability of a laptop?

For now I do. I have a dedicated gaming rig in a city 400 km away which I can't really use that often due to my work schedule. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

Imo, having a high res laptop screen for gaming is not good. You can't expect slied 485s to run at a constant 60fps (as SLIed 485s are similar to a desktop GTX470) at 1080P and since its an LCD, I find anything not at the native res to be ugly. 768P is fine, for a 15in anyways. If the GPU can't handel the latest games at its native res, 1024x768 won't cause any pixel blur.

Ya, I can't expect it to do much, but it would at least game minecraft and most games at medium to low settings at a good FPS signficantly better then a low clocked imbedded intel HD. It is basically an 8800GT. And given its price and resale value, I'm basically getting a trade.

Last edited:
Bump-a-rama.

I might go with the G60 instead of the G51. It sounds like people have less issues with the quality of the refurb. Good idea? Seems like the only difference is a slight CPU clockspeed jump and Windows 7. Frankly, I have a spare Win7 CD that I would load once I get the machine.

Last edited:
If you're software/hardware savvy 90 warranty should be the least of your concerns. Personally, I wouldn't do it with a 90 day warranty.

its not a bad laptop, i like asus things, better then dell for sure, the speed is like 4 years old desktop speed but it will hold up older games

Back