• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI FX600 gpu heat and throttle issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tmprz

Hi there,

I have an msi fx600 i3 notebook with a nvidia GT325m bought around xmas 2010. I havn't really used it for gaming as i used to have another rig for this. Recently however my mobo on the tower has died and ive tried gaming on my notebook. Most reviews i read said its a a decent notebook to game on anyway so i thought i shouldn't have any issues...

however this does not seem to be the case.

When playing games (currently witcher 2, ive also tried other games like css and fable 3 all on lowest settings) my laptop gets quite hot and my frame rate near enough goes down to maybe 5 fps.This happens every 5-15 minutes for about 5-10 minutes or until I have to alt tab out of game to let the laptop cool down. Once i tab back in the fps corrects itself but only for a short time. The laptop however never overheats or gets beyond the point where it should allow for throttling.

This is proving to be very annoying. ive read around and other people are experiencing the same problem as I but nobody seems to be able to give a solution.
I have my laptop elevated at the back to let air flow in and out i have also made sure to clean the vents. I have it set to performance on my gfx control panel and selected my nvidia card not the intel HD one also high performance on the power settings.

If i click the turbo button it happens more often as i am guessing the puts extra strain on the cpu/gpu

As i cannot control the fans i obviously cannot have them running higher than the cpu will allow at the time.

if anyone could help i would really appreciate it because i really don't want to have to sell it or see if i can get a refund.

thanks a mil,

Lewis.

the GT325m is pretty jokes for a gaming card, but way better then what intel will offer today.

One thing you could try is going into its BIOS and see if you can modify the fan speeds there. If there is an option for continous fan speed, enable it. Make sure there is no passive option avalible and if so, disable it. If not, a cooling pad is something you might want to look into.

The sad thing is, is that laptop cooling is actually suitable to handle things like this. The problem lies in the thermal paste and poor contact that most companies do while putting the thing together. You can also try grabbing a household fan and blowing on the exhaust.

thanks domino, i did have a quick look around the bios but i will try again what i found was alot of it is locked to it's default settings.

in regards to the GT325m i figured as much when reading up on it last night which is a bid sad.

i will give feedback when i run a few more tests.

Hello,
I know..thread is pretty old now but I have the same problem since a long time but wanst able to find a solution.
I should buy a new one but I really want to give this laptop a last chance ;)
So did u fixed it ?

Hello,
I know..thread is pretty old now but I have the same problem since a long time but wanst able to find a solution.
I should buy a new one but I really want to give this laptop a last chance ;)
So did u fixed it ?

You'll be better off making your own thread.

Back