• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPS Bad battery or circuitry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuruga2

I've got a Power Sentry model 100870 that did not survive a power outage the other day. I don't know how long the power was out but when I got home the UPSs internal fan was running full blast (couldn't tell you if that was normal) and when I reset the unit it quickly started beeping and flashing a battery fault error.

I tried leaving the unit plugged in with no load overnight but still got the fault.
I tried unplugging the unit and leaving it 'empty' for 24 hours but still got the fault.

This unit has a pack of 4 12V batteries in series for 48V. When I tried to remove the pack I found that the batteries were hot and swollen. After cooling down I was able to get them out and found at least one of them was cracked but the pack is still putting out 48V when I test it.

If I have the correct voltage what fault is the unit sensing? Could I have a problem in the unit itself and if so how do I find that out without spending a bunch of cash on new batteries first?

if the batteries are swollen and/cracked or split...

Replace them. How old was the UPS before the outage? Was it an outage due to a spike, was there a surge or lightning strike that overloaded a circuit/transformer?

My suggestion would be to replace the entire unit. top to bottom.

You could try using a car battery to test but as an FYI, Car batteries will offgas and it can potentially be a bad thing in enclosed spaces (fire, explosive, etc)..

if the batteries are swollen and/cracked or split...

Replace them. How old was the UPS before the outage? Was it an outage due to a spike, was there a surge or lightning strike that overloaded a circuit/transformer?

My suggestion would be to replace the entire unit. top to bottom.

You could try using a car battery to test but as an FYI, Car batteries will offgas and it can potentially be a bad thing in enclosed spaces (fire, explosive, etc)..

I bought the unit as a referb 2-3 years ago and if I could get another at that price I wouldnt heasitate, but there isnt much chance of that.

As for trying a car battery wouldnt I need 4 of those as well to make up my 48V?
I believe that my area just lost power and we didnt get any kind of spike.

Back