• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED PC doesn't turn on properly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acalex2011

Registered
Hi all,
since few days (since I changed my i7 2600 with an i72600k, the pc has the following problem:
every time I try to turn it on it goes on for a couple of seconds, before automatically turning off and back on again after another couple of seconds. Every time this happens, my keyboard is not recognized anymore (but this is another sotory :D).
What do you think it might be the problem?

Thanks a lot

Solution: I just disassembled everything, put back the CPU only, cleared the cmos, put back everything except 3/4 of the RAM (just put 2 out of 8Gb). Switched on and it worked. Turned off again, put back the RAM left, on again and magically it all works...even the keyboard issue is fixed now. Before disassembling I also updated the BIOS to the last version...

Last edited:
It never starts properly....whenever I switch it off and I want to turn it back on, it does that. I press the button --> goes on for a few seconds --> it turns off for a second --> back on and everything is back to normal (windows 7 starts).
Everything is done by itself, I just press once and then all this starts...

So then yes, it does power on and stay on (you said W7 starts and everything is back to normal).

When you dropped that CPU in, did you reset the CMOS? If not, I would do that.

Yes it stays on...I didn't do myself because the pc was 1 month old and I didn't want to lose the warranty...but I doubt that. Do you mean reset the CMOS phisically (with the specific jumper on the MB)?

Correct, that would be a good thing to try first. At defaults, it should not reboot when trying to start and fail to recognise the keyboard. If a cmos reset doesn't work, you should use your warranty coverage.

The system just says keyboard not connected...but it starts up anyway. I then need to remove the keyboard from the USB and plug it into another to get it started...

Ok...what i am going to do in the order is
- reset BIOS settings to default and try
- reset CMOS and try

I also read around on the internet that this might depends on the fact that the CPU fan doesn't start quickly enough hence the system goes back off in order not to fry the CPU...considering I changed the CPU one week ago, do yiu think this might be a problem?

Thanks again

I don't think that its a CPU fan problem. You can look at the fan when you press the power button. If it spins, you are good.

What motherboard do you have? Actually give complete system specs please (mobo/hdd/psu/ram/etc)!

What motherboard do you have? Actually give complete system specs please (mobo/hdd/psu/ram/etc)!

MB = Asus P8P67-M PRO rev B3 - Bios version 0703
CPU = Inteli i7 [email protected] (not overclocked yet)
Memory = DDR3 Dual 8Gb PC3 667MHz
PSU = 750W Energon EPS-750W
HD 1Tb - Samsung
Video card = Ati Radeon HD 5570 2Gb
Windows 7 64 bit

Is that enough?

Perfect. I have no clue who makes your PSU, which makes me a bit nervous... but even it its putting out half its rated power, thats still plenty.

Did you try our suggestions?

I just tried to load default settings in the BIOS...problem persists. Now I will trying to clear the CMOS on the MB...need to find the jumper first...

Guys...the fan is not the problem...when I press it starts spinning straight away. I noticed that the DRAM led is red for a while and then it turns off...this might be an indication of something?

Try removing a stick of ram and testing them one by one... though, if it worked before, I dont see why it wouldnt now. As far as the ram LED, not sure as I dont have your board. Usually if LED's turn off or green its good. If it stays red, thats bad.

If you reset BIOS to defaults successfully, resetting with the jumper will have the same effect.

I believe its normal for the DRAM LED to light then go out on that motherboard, thats part of the POST I think.

I would try loading the latest BIOS next:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67M_PRO/#download

EDIT: I changed the end of my comment above, because I realized I was looking at the p8p67 pro, instead of the p8p67-m pro which you have.

Tried to clear the CMOS anyway, and verified through the Asus Update software coming with the MB, this is the latest version available...still problem persists. DRAM Led is red for a few seconds and then it turns off...don't know what to do!!!

I don't know if Asus update checks your BIOS version. Does it specifically say your bios is up to date, give you a date on the BIOS, or a version number?

If you drop your old 2600 back in does it work?

Does the 2600k work in another PC?

@ IMOG - Also, sometimes forcing a CMOS clear vs load defaults knocks boards out of boot loops. This is true with gigabyte, not sure with Asus though. ;)

Back