• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan LED removal & soldering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Athenian

Registered
Hello.

I've got 5 140mm xigmatek fans which I absolutely love for being quiet and very efficient, but I am annoyed by the fact that they come with white LEDs only.

So, since I'm going for a blue/UV theme in the case, I was wondering how hard can it be to take out the original white LEDs replace them with blue + UV LED's, glue them in place, and solder them to the original cable.

I've found on amazon kits of 10 5mm LEDs for 4 quid each, a soldering kit for 8 quid and a small solder roll for another 4. Add another 3 for a superglue, and i should be set to go.

I have had some minor soldering experience as a first year when we did some circuit boards, but that was years ago.

Has anyone done it or care to comment ?

As long as they physically fit, and are within the voltage range of the pre-existing ones, it should be fine. I've not personally swapped out LEDs on a fan, but I don't see an issue.

I'm not sure of their rated voltage. I know most of the LEDs sold online come in 12 - 14 volt range and the fans themselves are rated for 12 volts, so ...

That's interesting. So will I have to add resistors ?
This package here says it's rated at 3,6 volts but also contains resistors for 12 - 14volts. Then again, I'm only replacing the LED's on the fan which I assume are rated at the same voltage, so I wouldn't have to include any resistors or that they already are included built in the center of the fan.

I would just wire enough of the LEDs in series to equal the 12v drop and not use resistors. Most likely that is how they are already wired, as manufacturers like to use the least amount of parts they can get away with.

If you wire it up the same way the original was, it should work fine. This was implied in my posts.

If you wire it up the same way the original was, it should work fine. This was implied in my posts.

Yes that is what i figured out, I was just puzzled between the discrepancy between 12 volt and 3.6 volts.
I'll just make sure I wear glasses and try swapping them one at a time :p

Thank you all for the advice, I will let you know how it goes once I get around doing it.

Back