• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6850 won't display to 3 monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

My brother has an HP Desktop with a 6850. He hooked up 3 dell 23" monitors all 1920x1080. two are connected via DVI and the last is connected via displayport to DVI adapter.

Only 2 monitors will display an image, why can't it display 3?

In the catalyst center it shows 3 displays but only 2 are blue or active. There's no way to activate the 3rd display. If I disconnect the cable from the third display that's shown as black, it goes away completely. So the videoc ard knows there's 3 displays connected?

It sees the monitors but it just won't connect? No indication why other than it can't save it. If I disable one monitor it'll take 2 monitors no issues (doesn't matter what combination between DVI and displayport or all DVI)

This makes no sense....is this an HP ism? My brother called HP and they're worthless telling him to connect to VGA HDMI and DVI...really, the card doesn't even have a VGA port, let alone only 2 ports between the 2 DVI and HDMI can output at once.

Please help, this is a situation where money isn't an issue, getting it fixed is.

Last edited:
if it's not an active adapter wouldn't it still work just at a lower resolution? Even at 1920x1080....it;s working fine with one DVI ad the mini displayport to DVI adapter that he bought....

I can disable and enable any of the 3 monitors I want in any order and only 2 will ever work...i.e. it could be DVI port 1 and miniDP, DVI port 2 and mini DP, or DVI port 1 and port 2.....all those will work but when I enable the 3rd mionitor it won't accept.

You need an active adapter to enable all three. It has something to do with the number of clock generators that are on the card.

Any idea what this adapter is? I gave him a link to an active adapter but he decided to get one at Best Buy instead (I know, I know, save *ME* the lecture)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Where in chicago can I buy an active miniDP to DVI adapter?

Active adapters made by video card companies are the ones you want. PowerColor, Sapphire, and XFX all make them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rder=BESTMATCH&Description=active+displayport

Here's the specific one I have, I love it. But if you have a minidp you would need an additional adapter to use it. I'd choose one of the other ones from the above link if you only have minidp
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

I use this, DVI and the HDMI plugs. All monitors work great! Most adapters you buy from best buy or cheaper places like monoprice aren't actualy active and won't display the 3rd screen.

Last edited:
Really? I use 2 dvi and a vga. No prblem. Do it threw ccc not windows it will work.

Wonder if its different for laptops since we've tried using the Laptop display &....
2x DVI
1x DVI & 1x VGA
2x VGA

No worky. Though its been mentioned time and time again that you need an active display port adaptor or at least a display port monitor.

I have a 6970 (even tried with a 6950) and an ACTIVE USB displayport to DVI adapter... I have the same issues. It's BS...

I've been using displayport to analog on my 3rd monitor as it seems to work best, but what stinks is the first 5-10 min that I turn the computer on, the analog monitor wiggles... then eventually settles.

I'm running 1920x1200 x 3.

Back