• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super Slow Connection...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

Today ive noticed websites taking along time to load. Ones that normally load within a second now take much longer.

Ran speedtest and saw that my connection speed is like .5/.5mb :confused:
Ran the Windows "troubleshoot problems" screen and no change.
Reset my router and no change.
So I then ran speed test on my wifes computer and got 32/29mb...

Both of our computers are in the same room and use the same wireless pci adapter.

So what gives?:confused:

EDIT: I noticed this in the event logs.

Code:
The ICS_IPV6 was unable to allocate  bytes of memory. 
This may indicate that the system is low on virtual memory,
 or that the memory manager has encountered an internal error.

Last edited:
ICS is internet connection sharing, it is still somewhat tied to the windows firewall
your problem is likely to be a network configuration that is incorrect (or mabey it has been messed with)
your problem is not likely to be fixed addressing things like paging and memory stuff

is your computer itself, being used as the Internet sharing "server" to your wives?
(non serving "client" computers feeding off ICS do not require ICS services to get net)

in the os your using when you turn off ICS services in computer managment services, is the windows firewall still dependant on it?

if you understand some what is going on ( and know you could lose net until you reconfigure)
go to services and shut off the ICS service (hit stop)
test
If nessisary Disable ICS service, then re-boot , it should not be
check the configuration of the net (especially if it now fails)
check the wifes computer to see if it still has net.

Write down anything that you change or delete, especially any of the address numbers , and any dns entries and that kind of thing, so you can get back exactally where you were, so i dont mess you up somehow.

then wait till someone who knows what is going on can help :)

Please provide operating system ?
if your sharing connection VIA your computer? (or only feeding off router)
you have only the one wireless, and no bridges , or secondary wireless or wired connections on that computer?
what is your Intra Net style?
and just in case it is important, are you running "torrent" software, and which one.

Last edited:
We are both using Windows 7 64bit
I dont believe her computer connects through mine as she is able to connect without my computer being on.
Were both using wireless PCI adapters.

I havent changed any internet settings in months either... :confused:
Ill try the few things you mentioned.

Heck my Droid is getting 17/6mb lol
Not running any Torrent programs.

EDIT: Well without changing anything Im getting this.
1366648016.png
I did go ahead and dissable ICS as well as uninstall VMplayer as it had some connection sharing going on.

Last edited:
Ok well I moved the antenna on my wireless card to point directly towards the router (downstairs), and connection speed is way better... go figure...

I though the antennas on these things were pretty omnidirectional. Guess not.

:facepalm:

1371480434.png

i am wireless novice, but using windows "wireless zero configuration" , as opposed to the adapters software, i can look at the "status" of the wireless just like a wired one.
and in the status shows the BPS "speed" stuff, of that connection.
then i can move the antenna around till the number gets really big .
also a hover over the SysTray icon, and i can see the number.

aparentally depending on the strength of the signal, it negotiates many different speeds, so i move stuff around till i get a good one.
so there is a tool for checking that, that is all i am saying.

normally all the status and properties of a connection are in "network connection"
if you want to see it in the systray itself, select the "Properties" for the connection, and there is a checkbox in the bottom of the first tab
[ ] Show status in systray , that is the one i am referring to.
then it will be in the mess of other stuff in that tray :)

Last edited:
Back