• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IRQ problem with video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vector150

Registered
Ok my kids PC has a 790i ftw pwm mother board, 285 gtx, x-fi sound card. The video card and sound card after this last reformat has been sharing IRQ 16. And there are both sound and video issues. I have even called evga and got no where.

If anyone knows how to fix this I am all ears. Oh this system in question is running vista 64 ultimate. Bios is up to date. Thank you ahead of time for any and all help.

Is there anyone who knows how to reasign the IRQ's? I have tried everything I know....I would be for ever greatful if someone knows how to fix this.

just move the sound card to a different slot.
there is nothing REAL that you can do beyond that.

the explaination is rather long. and my info Old, and i will screw it up

1) --A---B----C-----D----
2) --B- -D----A-----C-----
3) --A---B----C-----D------ Plus all the extra new lanes and things witn PCIE
4) --C---A----D-----B-----
5) --A---C----D-----B----

this is (sort of) your pci slots

say you have sound card in
4) --C---A----D-----B-----
it is ^ connected to the hardware using C, which is assigned to IRQ 13 ?? i donno
You can reasign C to IRQ 14 and everything ELSE that is still on C will also be reasigned
so the conflict you will observe will go from 13 to 14 , and it wont make a lick of differecne
because it is using the same recognition point in the HARDWARE

but put the card over here
2) --B- -D----A-----C-----
and ^ it might pick up on B instead, and whatever was on C will no longer conflict.
again how the SOFTware assigns the numbers is not the problem, it is back some in hardware.

Of course this is just a juggling act, The hardware has usually been designed so there is rare Large conflict. There are also the onboard items, which any your not using should be turned off in the bios.
Generally these things that end up on the same hardware connection share just fine. Multiple things can easily be on the same point untill you get some thing that sets latency wrong, or is not following the rules properly.

Also IF there are any PCI latency items in the bios, setting them HIGHER will allow an item to finish and reduce problems, but nowdays the hardware itself likes to change the latency , which can effect that whole channel.

Some hardware uses more than One of these connections for its board recognition .

weird isnt it, after thousands of pages of web stuff, i found out that i was thinking it all backwards, and it drove me crasy till i saw INTELs explaination.

again IRQ conflics dont exist in todays software (in thier dreams) they never existed at all, it was all hardware,
Plus it could be something else that is having problems altogether.

other things you can check for on your video card: run CPUz go to mainboard tab, and check your links ammount, should be 16 or at least 8.

none of the words used in this post are proper technical terms, and PCI lanes and all have changed a lot, the more they change the more they stay the same.

Last edited:

Ok I have one slot I have not tried. My sound card is pcie I tried the 1x slot and one of 16x slots. Now with switching these around should I unload and reload drivers? But either way thank you much.

no, if the system finds it in a new place, it will either just know it is there now ,or the system will reinstall drivers again , in the new place.

you can see more stuff in "resources" but then that is how you got in this mess in the first place :)
most techs would say that what your seeing is NOT the problem, I agree 90% of the time it is not, but you wanted to do it.

which just leaves cleaning up the mess in the device manager
it is not nessisary, but I WOULD , but then i know what is mess and what is standby.
go to device manager, switch to "show hidden devices"
and toss out (uninstall) ghosted repeats of things that you know what they are, and are gone or repeated.
then reboot again.

Last edited:
creative cards and drivers of any sort, can have thier issues, and complexity
creative always says make sure you have the latests drivers
creative has a Driver Uninstaller
if your not getting anywhere find creatives own drivercleanup thing they have on thier website, rip out the whole package, and reinstall the latest driver, or one version back from thier latests. Of course try and avoid getting mixed up with drivers provided via microsoft, and get the drivers from creative, not some site that has something hanging around.

i forgot one
creative software has equalisers, and sound processing capability, like reverb echo , the different "EAX" profiles like Hall, concert, bathroom, and even AVC (automatic volume control) processing. CRSS is very minimal extra processing.
When playing games and wanting speed, or ever having any sound problems, turn off the features like these that specifically re-process the sound. at least to test.

volume controls, speaker settings, and the usual stuff does NOT require "extra" processing. Changing or sweetening the sound with filters and processing does.

Last edited:
Back