• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removed Hardware - Startup Crash / Safe Mode = Crash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Hey guys, running into a problem. I don't know much about software, but I'm not a complete dumb@$$. I was having no problems, just made a hardware change and now upon a normal startup I get a BSOD, but it flickers too fast to read. Repair console doesn't say it finds errors, but it does go into repairs, and is unable to repair it. But doesn't really give me any info.

What I did tonight, all at the same time after turning off my computer.

1.) Removed a controller card that had 12 hard drives connected to it. I went through each drive making it offline before turning off my computer. So the controller and all hard drives are no longer connected (but Windows is on a different controller that was not touched).

2.) Removed my VCard, and put a different one in (From Radeon 3650 to 5770), and didn't touch the drivers yet.

I was hoping to get into Windows and get to drivers from there, but nope! The VCard appears good, I had a Windows install on another HD, and it booted right into it no problems.

OS = Win2008 R2 64 Bit (Like Win7). I'm going to bed now so I haven't tried swapping hardware in and out yet, I really don't want to do that if I can avoid it. But if I had to I'll try putting the old VCard in, and if I have to the hold HD Controller / HDs.

What I'm really hoping for... Is someone can tell me how I can manually delete my installed drivers, so it'll hopefully be able to boot, and I can just reinstall updated drivers for everything I have. I've found the driverstore, but I don't want to blindly delete stuff, I want to get an expert opinion before I do that. So please let me know what's safe to delete that'll help me start over. I really think it's just a driver issue, thinking this new 5770 is still the 3650 or wanting to write some cache to a HD that is no longer there or something silly.

Oh, and if you tell me where to find a log for the crashes, I can pull that up and let you know too.

Thanks!!

SOLUTION = So the next morning I started on it again, and luckily for me it was my first guess. I have two video cards, and either the driver for the second one was being forced on the new one, and was creating the BSOD, or Windows wanted to use a generic driver for the new one, that the other one just didn't want to use, and created a BSOD. Despite running my second FireMV 2260 with the 3650 before, Win7 just didn't want it in there with the 5770. Oh well, I mostly only use 3 monitors right now anyways, so I can have it out for now. Windows booted right up.

Last edited:
To see the BSOD error, there is an option in the bios to not automatically reboot upon error. Try that and see the error. I have swapped out many a GPU without uninstalling drivers first so Im guessing, with the information given at least, that the GPU isnt the issue. IF it was, plugging in the 3650 should resolve the issue for you.

Back