• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server Processors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BEEAH

Ok, I don't know much about server processors but for some reason I am always looking them up on Craigslist.

Can someone give me(us) a better idea on what processors to keep an eye out for? Which processor series are worth buying and folding with if the price is right?

I see some dual Xeon 5440's
5130's
Dual 5205's
etc...

I do have the list of Xenon processors but just don't know where the line is that make one processor a good folder over another. There is always that chance of someone selling something they don't know anything about on craigslist and I want to take advantage of that. :rolleyes:

1. If it does not have HT is it even worth it?
2. If I do find good CPU's, is the only real MB option an SR-2? Or can you get anything out of the stock MB?
3. If there is a line where some good PPD can be made, where is it? What should I keep an eye out for?

Last edited:
Some of those are 771 iirc. slower ecc/registered memory, no overclocking for the most part, I think it's a relatively high cost to ppd ratio imho.

In the Intel line the x56xx are very high producers with excellent points/KWh

Last edited:
I don't know a lot about server cpu's, except for the 54xx series. I have two E5420's @ 2.5GHz quads on my server. (E means it's a low power cpu).

Yes, they're socket 771, have no HT, and the server mobo will not overclock, and is E-ATX in size, so it won't fit in many cases. They use ECC memory, which is expensive.

Together, both 5420's fold approximately 1/5th slower than one i7 940 @ 3.6GHz, but it will fold bigadv work units, within the deadline. It's a very stable rig. That's the best thing about the system. I believe they're about the equal of the 6600 quads, and have that same architecture, but use less power.

The worst thing about the system (aside from no o/c'ing), is that when it's warm, the two cpu's have a way of "caterwauling" like two tom cats ready to fight >> rrARRrrrrrrRRRRaaaarrrrRRRR! It's not a happy Summer folder, and rarely runs in July, Aug. or Sept.

I wouldn't recommend buying any of the 54xx series Xeon's, for folding.

Ok, that makes a bit more sense, thanks. To bad as I was hoping to find a deal on some server puters that could put out real PPD.

BEEAH,

That 2600k| Asus Sabertooth in you sig could net you much more ppd if you ran bigadv WUs, instead of[what appears to be] GPU work units.

-just sayin'. ;)

BEEAH,

That 2600k| Asus Sabertooth in you sig could net you much more ppd if you ran bigadv WUs, instead of[what appears to be] GPU work units.

-just sayin'. ;)

Oh yeah, I do run bigadv, thats my friends PC running. I have mine shut down right now as it is 90 degrees and I don't want it fighting the AC. =)

Back