• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 6950 always max fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoobCooler

Hey

I am have a few problems with a HD 6950 from PowerColor.

The fan is run at max speed when I boot the PC and on the desktop of Win7.

However, when I start a 3D game, it goes down to normal speed.

It just happened from one day to another. I have tried reinstalling the driver, then windows. No luck.

Anyone have any idea whats wrong?

Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to write that the GPU is at 29 C in desktop mode at full fan speed.

Last edited:
Are you using any software to control the fan speed?

No, none at all.

It runs at full speed for like 20min from boot. Even when I don't boot into windows.

After the first 20min or if I start a game, it runs normal.

Sorry for the late reply, have been away since I created the topic.

No, none at all.

It runs at full speed for like 20min from boot. Even when I don't boot into windows.

After the first 20min or if I start a game, it runs normal.

Sorry for the late reply, have been away since I created the topic.

Did you mod the bios or flash the card or anything? What about in CCC, did you play with any of the fan sliders.

Something in that card isn't kicking in the "smart" fan. I had this same problem but with some evga GT220 cards at my old job that we were selling. EVGA released a BIOS update and made the problem go away.

I would see if PowerColor has a BIOS update (if they do that sort of thing) or check their support forums or simply google your problem and see if you find someone with a solution to it.

As long as the card works it will be difficult to RMA. It's just an annoying problem.

Ok, I have tried to bios mod it to a HD 6970, that did not help at all.

So i reverted it to the old bios.

9mq.png

Still have the same problem. I have tried to set the fan speed at 20%, but the RPM are still above 5K.

Back