• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell XPS M2010 custom?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boxol

http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/8878.jpg

This is the OLD Dell 20 inch Laptop with detachable keyboard and all kinds of neat ad-dons. The only problem is the components!!!! The laptop is not being made anymore and not worth using for games and such.

My question is this:

Has anyone heard or thought about buying one of these laptops(I can get a used one for about 200) and then completely gutting the thing and putting NEW hardware inside? I was thinking a Micro Board could probably even fit into this thing /shrug.

Thanks in advance

My question would "What would I gain from using this case?". I can't think of any reason other than "just 'cause".

Well its pretty easy if you think about it.

1) The ease and ability to take it places(Other Laptops are to small, small Keyboard, and Desktops have TONs of wires and a screen/keyboard to packup) The detachable full sized keyboard is a VERY VERY nice feature of this laptop

2) I know HP makes a 20 inch Laptop BUT it cost about $1500, and again does not have the best components inside.

3) I have built several Desktops BUT never a laptop, for $200(the Laptop), and a few hundred more for other parts I could have a very portable gaming system instead of lugging around a desktop or a tiny(expensive) laptop.

The only problem is actually knowing IF the Motherboard and other parts can be taken out completely and replaced with NEWer parts and STILL have all the hardware work(Screen/dvd/speakers/remote/keyboard/and so on)

If you're willing to get your hands dirty and make a project out of it, anything is possible. I can't see the keyboard or monitor being incredibly difficult to get working. And if you have trouble with the speakers, there's always a way to switch them out. It's just a matter of figuring out how to do it and make it look like you didn't haha

You would need to use laptop components, it wouldn't be able to be done with desktop components. Pretty sure a motherboard with a stick of ram in it vertically wouldn't fit, never mind anything for any type of cooling.

Now, if you gutted it and put in a laptop motherboard and components, that could work (semi) easily.

MAN look at the size of this MOBO haha

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/3/1/0/6/3/webimg/453278880_o.jpg?nc=304

Hmmm and your probably right about the ram!!!! BUT who knows(that case is THICK.

LOL I could use a Micro ATX MOBO and throw one of AMDs new APUs processors in it haha, but I'm guessing I would be better off finding a Laptop MOBO with better video

You couldn't use an m-ATX mobo in a laptop, unless I'm seriously underestimating how thick it is. You will almost certainly need a laptop mobo, because the ports are designed differently in a way that allows them to lay flat, keeping the computer from having to be ridiculously thick.

How did you get on

How did the upgrade go.. or not go as i suspect is the case.. lol

im in a similar position and want to know if it is worth the hassle trying to upgrade / rip and start again

Replacing anything in a laptop will run you much money.
I picked up an ASUS g73 laptop for about 1200.00 bucks.
I doubt you could buy the internals you would need for that and then there would be extensive modding to get the stuff to fit. It's not like you can just throw a standard vid card in there.

I for one would like to put in a m18x R2 motherboard in this, extend to match part of the usb 2.0/3.0 ports and putting out then mount an esata port. problem is there will be no battery, which is fine imo, changing powersupply to m18xr2 PSU.

last part hardest part is to try and get screen to work with video card.. not sure hows that gonna play out lol.

Back