• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project: Hacked Benching Station

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onefstsnake

After looking at a few threads of homemade benching stations I decided to make my own. I recently built a new rig for my mother and in the process inherited her old rig.

The Plan:
This will be a super low cost or no cost build!
I plan on using existing parts/materials that I have on hand to do the entire build.
Even though the title says "Hacked" I want the station to be clean and somewhat good looking.

So here is the case I will be working with.
utf-8BSU1BRzEyNzEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzEyNzIuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzEyNzMuanBn.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so far Ive drilled out most of the rivets and cut down the motherboard tray a bit.

utf-8BSU1BRzEyNzUuanBn.jpg

I plan on adding some sort of feet to the bottom of the tray as its not very stable.
Still not sure if I will leave the PSU in the original position. (above the mobo)

Last edited:
Found my can of self etching primer as well as some copper colored paint.
Trying to think of what I can use for feet on this thing...
Or I could mount the whole thing to a piece of wood.

More updates tomorrow.

Hey, congrats starting on your project.

Well, stick-on bumper anti-sliding legs would be best in your case since it's a thin plate.
I've used on mine. It's a bout a nickel size in diameter and 1/2" tall.
I bought at Fry's in a package of 12 for 3 bucks.

Well instead of making the motherboard tray sit on the ground Ive decided it will have some legs. It will stand ~1' tall using angle aluminum.
Im also going to try to make some HDD and CD drive mounts.

Time to draw out some plans.

Well I got some legs cut for it. The tray might be too flimsy to use as is.
So im either going to brace the tray or possibly just find a piece of wood for the base.

Makes it alot easier to swap hardware.
It can cause some components to run cooler.

When your benching, quite often you need to get at the hardware quickly and easily. Especially when running subzero a standard case just wouldnt work.

oh ok, i guess i understand... :D

your plans look fine, i think the legs might be too thin, you could also add a triangulation bar in there, for support.

Well this project is changing direction a bit.
Instead of using the flimsy motherboard tray I will be using wood for the base.

Picked up a 16x36" piece of pine today that will be cut down to arround 16x18". Also got some threaded inserts to mount the legs and things to the board.

Well got a bit more done today.
Got the motherboard inserts done and the motherboard mounted. Fits great.

utf-8BSU1BRzEzMjUuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzEzMjYuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzEzMjcuanBn.jpg

Also got a few of the inserts for the legs done.

utf-8BSU1BRzEzMjQuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzEzMjMuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzEzMjIuanBn.jpg

Well I got all 4 legs complete, as well as all the standoff done.

The standoffs are a combination of threaded inserts in the wood with nylon spacers epoxied on top.
I also got the I/O plate mounted using the same method as the mobo standoffs.

Standoffs Epoxied.
utf-8BSU1BRzEzNTQuanBn.jpg

Board Mounted.
utf-8BSU1BRzEzNTguanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzEzNTYuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzEzNTcuanBn.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to get the control panel finished as well as cut some holes for wire management.

Looking better everyday. Did you paint I/O plate from silver to black or is it a newer one?

Back