• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$100 Card for New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't understand why I should pay $35 more when the PSU I have picked out seems perfectly fine.

You will likely be ok. The point however is that cheap psu have a greater tendency to crap out on you, as well as as take down more than just itself when it does crap the bed. All of those are worst case scenarios o course, but there is a reason we all preach to get a good PSU.

I don't understand why I should pay $35 more when the PSU I have picked out seems perfectly fine.

As Earthdog had said. The PSU you have picked should be perfectly fine.

I'm just going from my personal opinion that the Corsair is a more solid choice and has proven itself time and time again. Not just in my experiance, but all over this forum and all over the web.

You made a good choice with the CM PSU. I'm just saying there is a better choice for only $35 more :)

The GTX 460 1GB I have in my cart right now is $125. If I could go down to like $100, I could afford that Corsair. My choices for $100 are like 460 SE, 465, or ATI. what do you guys think? Is it worth it to downgrade my GPU to get the Corsair PSU? What you would do?

The GTX 460 1GB I have in my cart right now is $125. If I could go down to like $100, I could afford that Corsair. My choices for $100 are like 460 SE, 465, or ATI. what do you guys think? Is it worth it to downgrade my GPU to get the Corsair PSU? What you would do?

What would I do... Get the best video card.

That CM PSU will do fine. Its a decent PSU and should be great for your setup.

I would rather get the Corsair, but when it comes down to GPU VS PSU (and the CM in fine) go with the faster GPU :)

That is a very subjective question. The CM is a pretty good PSU, the corsair is better. the 460se is a prety nice video card, the 460 is better. All that I can suggest is that you do some extra research outside of the forums. Find some ACTUAL test of both psus and compare efficiency, stability, and max output.

I can tell you just by glancing at the newegg pages of both PSUs that the corsair PSU is a bit more efficient than the CM and as a result will probably allow you to go further beyond its rating without damaging anything than the CM will.

Are you dead set on that case? because its likely that you could keep the same price point with a different case and not change the GPU.

Microcenter usually is matched or cheaper (in case of CPUs, a LOT cheaper). Problem is there aren't many of them. Good for the people who live near one (like me :beer:).

The way I look at things is the graphic card is a regular update like a cpu, within 3 months they are outdated as every month newer and faster ones come out but the psu is a buy one and use it for ages in varios builds. If you get a psu that just does, when you upgrade to 2x 460's(like you said you would do later)its at double cost as you need to go for a new psu too. My psu is something like 4-5 years old and been through 4 rebuilds and umpteen graphic changes(i'm due another one too)
I'd go for the best psu so it will last and the gpu a second priority, but i'm no expert, just always skint and looking for the cheapest update using sound reasoning.

There looks to be a M.I.R. placing it at 89.99.

That PSU, if it is anything like the HX series, will give amazingly low ripples and able to pump out a higher wattage then what it was rated for without harm.

Most of the lower end PSUs will create high ripple effects that will damage your components over time. Likewise, they'll also produce no where near what they are rated for.

Honestly, the only PSUs you should recommend are the Antec TPN and or Corsair HX/AX equavalents.

Back