• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$100 Card for New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TankTan38

Registered
Hello everyone. I'm pretty much decided everything for my first gaming build, however I would like to check with you guys on my GPU. I have picked out this:

GTX 465 for $100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133344

I just want to see what you guys think. I have heard that this thing gets really hot and uses a lot of power. But looking, at the benchmarks, it seems to whoop the 6770 (which is what I was originally getting), especially if it were to be unlocked to a GTX 470. And i'm looking to stay really close to $100 with the GPU budget. I probably will SLI in the future, however, to stay in budget, I have chosen not to get a capable PSU now and upgrade when necessary.

Here are some of the parts i'm going to order along with this:

CPU: 2500k
Mobo: MSI P67A-G45
PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus 500w
Case: HAF 912

I hope you guys can help. :thup:

The GTX 460 is a cool card and you will have no problem with the build, it all looks good.:popcorn::soda:

Get a 600-650w PSU

Last edited:
The 460 is more powerful than the 465. As for the 460SE well I dont recall but I do have one of those evga 460se and it rocks starcraft2 on ultra @ 720p ~40fps. running at high it comfortably does 60+

Stay away from the "SE" cards - they're pretty crippled.

I would recommend getting a GTX 460 over the 465 for sure. It's going to be a lot cooler and quieter because it's based on a more advanced process.

The GTX 460 comes in 768mb and 1GB varieties. The 1GB cards are about 10-15% faster than the 768mb ones. I don't see any of those cards in your price range on Newegg right now. Apparently they haven't dropped in price much over the last few months.

If you get classifieds access (happens at 100 posts if you have an acceptable email address) you can probably find a good deal on a used card here on the forum. That would be the best route in the $100 range.

Last edited:
The 460 is more powerful than the 465.
I dont believe this to be true. Please verify the specifications you were looking at as the 465 has more Shaders and ROPs, with just slightly less clock speed.

A 465 was a headscratching card. Offering barely more performance, in its locked form, than the 460 1gb, its pricing was very high at the time both were available.

^ Thanks for the correct. The 460 should overclock a bit better because of the smaller process, right?

The 460 1GB o/c like a monster, not sure why...less Shaders, lower temps, and better power consumption play a part...

The 460 does overclock slightly better. Most can do around 900Mhz with a small voltage increase in Afterburner.

The 465 finds it abit harder but normally gets around 850Mhz.

But with its more shaders (352 Vs 336) it is definatly a better card. If only slightly :thup:

The GTX460 does support direct compute 2.1 over the 465's direct compute v2. No idea what difference that means though :shrug:

At stock, 465 is beaten by the 460 in several games, while using much more power. As in 50-100 watts more power. Clock a 460 up to 850mhz and you're trading blows with the 470 and 6870.

Corsair has a much better rep than CM PSU's

Don't get me wrong. The CM PSU is a decent PSU, and would probably suit your needs fine.

But talking from experiance, the Corsair is the best PSU in its class.

Don't take my word for it. I'm sure someone will chime in with their opinion very soon.

Corsair has a much better rep than CM PSU's

Don't get me wrong. The CM PSU is a decent PSU, and would probably suit your needs fine.

But talking from experiance, the Corsair is the best PSU in its class.

Don't take my word for it. I'm sure someone will chime in with their opinion very soon.

But is it enough to warrant paying $35 more? That's quite a bit of money, especially in a lower budget build like mine.

Back