• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$100 Card for New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a freaking Rosewill PSU. Rosewill. Anything but high quality, but based on OKWolf's review it doesn't seem like this probably won't die for years. (Granted I think it's the only decent PSU in their entire line. xD)

Still bad advice.

I think you have your priorities wrong if you think suggesting higher end PSUs over lower end ones is bad advice.

There's plenty of good PSUs out there that aren't in the same class as the AX/HX but will still run a system just fine for years.

When we consider below average use, consists of casual gaming, no overclocks, and little to no stress, then yes. The rippling of current is going to fry the components before your PSU dies if you else wise. Let alone, with the failure rate of the lower end PSUs, you'll be spending more in the long run when compared to a higher quality one. My HX650, which is able to substain loads up to 800 watts with good ripples, is going to last me well into my next 2 builds. That is nearly 6-10 years of PSU use with no failed components due to poor ripples while capable of running the best crossfired or slied single GPU cards on the market, and solid overclocks.

I think you have your priorities wrong if you think suggesting higher end PSUs over lower end ones is bad advice.

When we consider below average use, consists of casual gaming, no overclocks, and little to no stress, then yes. The rippling of current is going to fry the components before your PSU dies if you else wise. Let alone, with the failure rate of the lower end PSUs, you'll be spending more in the long run when compared to a higher quality one. My HX650, which is able to substain loads up to 800 watts with good ripples, is going to last me well into my next 2 builds. That is nearly 6-10 years of PSU use with no failed components due to poor ripples while capable of running the best crossfired or slied single GPU cards on the market, and solid overclocks.

You do make good points. Problem is most people will not spend much on what they see as a glorified AC adapter. I've lost many a component in PCs with cheap PSUs. Including the PSU. Never lost a single component on a PC with a high end PSU. Coincidence? IMO, the quality PSU does pay for itself in the long run. We'll never be able to get this through to people though. People want to buy their cheap OEM tower for the cost of what a premium 1200W PSU would cost by itself and that's all there is to it. They they wonder why they have hardware failures.

Nobody's going to argue against the fact that a good PSU is a requirement in any system. What we're arguing with was the claim that the Antec TPN and Corsair HX/AX were the only PSU's that we should recommend.

There are plenty of mainstream level PSUs that will work fine, and allow more of the budget to be spent on actual performance components, compared to buying a full bells-n-whistles PSU. You certainly don't need to look down your nose at folks who opt for perfectly decent PSUs in favor of spending that much more on stuff that actually makes the rig go faster. I'm not talking about $15 500 watt Logisys power supplies here, I'm talking about workhorses like the Corsair CX/TX series and such.

You want to spend more, go nuts, but don't pretend that buying anything but the top end is a mistake.

There are plenty of mainstream level PSUs that will work fine, and allow more of the budget to be spent on actual performance components, compared to buying a full bells-n-whistles PSU. You certainly don't need to look down your nose at folks who opt for perfectly decent PSUs in favor of spending that much more on stuff that actually makes the rig go faster. I'm not talking about $15 500 watt Logisys power supplies here, I'm talking about workhorses like the Corsair CX/TX series and such.

You want to spend more, go nuts, but don't pretend that buying anything but the top end is a mistake.
I totally agree with you here. I can't see spending $150+ on an AX or HX PSU (especially since they seem to start at 750w) when this will do an awesome job at half the cost: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

Back