• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netflix price increase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I do the on demand or redbox thing for newer releases (rarely) but I like the streaming on Netflix. I'll keep my 8 buck membership. Never did order the DVDs though.

I'm still up in the air with this. I like the streaming and would pay more if they increased the amount of media for streaming. I mainly get the DVD for the kids as there is a much wider selection of kids stuff on DVD. Don't know if I'm going to cancel yet or not.

When is the increase supposed take affect?

I'm not sure I believe the bit about contracts limiting the number of streaming users they have.
1. I find it hard to believe that any company would sign a contract agreeing to limit the number of customers they can have.
2. Plus any content owner that allows netflix to stream the content will not know that an individual will watch thier content just because that person signed up for netflix and that content owner would not be able to control the user base as that would control other content as well.

I know that video rental places have to pay rental fees and what not but are not limited to how many people can watch the movie. I'm sure it is similar for streaming unles they have to pay on a per watched basis.

As for Angry's question about what they do with all the movies, they sell them. That's where a majority of the used movies come from at places like Hastings and what not.

As was said earlier, the price for either alone is ok but together they should offer a discount. Maybe a package price of $12 would be better. Or perhaps limiting dvds to say three or four a month. Or packages for number of dvds per month. It would be much easier to deal with a price increase though if they would improve the streaming selection. It would be nice if they improve the quality for droid streaming as well, I've seen better picture from on youtube. Or as suggested they could drop the dvds all together and just go streaming only.

The increase would go into affect 1 Sept. Which imo is the wrong move for netflix. I think they can come up with a better solution.

I for one prefer the physical media. Better picture, no lag, loading or buffering, but I do like the streaming for convienence. I'm not sure what I will do, probably just go streaming and go to Hastings or Red Box for blu-ray and dvds.

I have a good picture and no lag at all With my HTPC and 42" flat screen and it runs on a "N" wireless. Buffering takes about 2 seconds in the beginning and that's it. Less time than it takes a DVD to spin up.

Daemonkin---i tuned you out after you referred to complaints as crying. That is insulting and I shouldn't have to tell you why. Hopefully you didn't post anything useful following that comment.

Ah, I was insulted for very low values of insulted. It just seems immature to me to call what someone else thinks to be a legitimate complaint to be crying. Intentionally or not, when someone says this they are making a negative statement about the personality of the poster.

It's a pet peeve of mine, I guess, and something I encounter often on ocforums.

I didn't elaborate because I thought it would be apparent. Normally I wouldn't even make a 1 sentence comment about it.

Sorry for the off-topicness. Just wanted to make that clear. No offense intended daemonkin.

I had steaming and 2 dvd/blueray service, but I canceled everything but streaming. I use netflix because it is cheaper then cable is. I mostly watch streaming now anyways, so its not that big of a deal. I will just switch to Red box for new movies.

I understand why they are doing it. But I still think its a bad move. They should have just changed to disc service to limit the number of disc you could get in a month. Then offer an unlimited service for more $.

Several months ago, I tried Hulu+ for a month. Felt it sucked. You don't get any less ads. And a lot of the shows were stuff I had never even heard of. And a lot of them couldn't be watched on devices like tablets, etc. What gives?

Now, it appears as though they've improved. By which I mean....they're slowly soaking up what was once free. I predict eventually, you'll have to pay to watch anything at all. Ads still included.

I had the exact same experience with Hulu+. :mad:

Now that Netflix isn't available for my model tablet (might just be a temporary thing) that will likely stay suspended as well, possibly even canceled. Might just go back to no cable, no nothing and work on music and do other things with that time. :p

Back