• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netflix price increase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hydrata

For someone like me who uses Netflix for both streaming and physical discs, I'm facing a fairly substantial price increase to my monthly plan.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2356...ce_increases_with_social_media_firestorm.html
I enjoy the ease of Netflix because there is a streaming app for it on my blu-ray player. But now I'm thinking I should consider other options. I know one option is Amazon Prime. Can anybody suggest other options? Or can anyone speak to the library offered by these other streaming services? Thanks.

Darn, that's the plan I use - 1 DVD out plus unlimited streaming. A 60% $$$ increase bites. :mad:

Prime is nice with very good quality, better than netflix for most shows in fact. The drawback is the library is nowhere near as large. I also thought that the increase was a bit much but I thought about the DVD side of it. The postage alone from quick turnaround customers could end up being a loss at the end of the month for netflix. I don't know, if you bring in more than 8 DVD's a month then it's better than your local redbox. Otherwise, cancel the DVD side and enjoy the slight discount to the streaming side this offers.

Yes, pricing increases suck. But what it comes down to, is do you feel you're getting your money's worth? For me, sure, I do feel like I get $16 worth to have unlimited streaming + 1 DVD out a time. So I have no problem with the pricing increase. Am I jumping for joy and excited about it? No, but I still have no problem paying it because it's worth it to me.

I'll have to make sure my wife cancels if she still subscribes. We don't stream anything and there are 2 Redboxes a few blocks from our house.

i can understand them providing streaming and 1 dvd at a time individually for that price but they really ought to provide some type of discount if you want both. that much of a price increase is quite risky if you ask me...

my netflix account has been on hold for the past 6 months because of lackluster content available. i might just go ahead and cancel it because that's just too much for how little i use the service.

Does anyone have Hulu, how does it compare to the Netflix streaming?

Several months ago, I tried Hulu+ for a month. Felt it sucked. You don't get any less ads. And a lot of the shows were stuff I had never even heard of. And a lot of them couldn't be watched on devices like tablets, etc. What gives?

Now, it appears as though they've improved. By which I mean....they're slowly soaking up what was once free. I predict eventually, you'll have to pay to watch anything at all. Ads still included.

I've always had just the streaming package, so this really is more of a good thing for me, it got cheaper heh. I've never needed the dvds because I often goto theaters if I really want to see it or borrow the dvd from one of my friends, one of them usually has whatever I want.

It's funny how everyone cries about a price increase, but they don't take the time to wonder why it is increasing. It's always those greedy people wanting more of mah moniez!

Netflix is having to increase prices because they got too popular, blew through the user caps on the agreements with the copyright owners, and are now watching it all get pulled out.

To add to that, they got all these movies very cheaply because they were the only ones doing it. Now that there are other agencies doing the same thing, prices are going up at the studio level. What Netflix paid a 100 million for is now going to cost a few billion.

Honestly, Netflix is not going to survive much longer. Too many industry giants are getting involved and they have way more capital to play with than does Netflix. (Google and Apple to name just two.)

Those other competitors who people say they are flocking to? Yeah, you'll see a price increase soon enough. They just don't have the user base to worry about user caps, yet.

But it really comes down to how many movies you watch on whether it's still worth it or not. If you watch more than 8 movies on dvd a month, netflix is still the cheaper option. Same with streaming. Redbox loses any advantage at the 8th movie.

I stream quite a few movies, way more than 8/mo, and paying 7.99/mo is much cheaper overall.

If you have both (~18/mo), you are coming out just a little more expensive than HBO is and have access to way more movies.

So Netflix went from being dirt frigging cheap to being just cheap.

As for Hulu, it's on the auctioning block right now. Disney and NBC have decided to dump it.

For someone like me who uses Netflix for both streaming and physical discs, I'm facing a fairly substantial price increase to my monthly plan.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2356...ce_increases_with_social_media_firestorm.html
I enjoy the ease of Netflix because there is a streaming app for it on my blu-ray player. But now I'm thinking I should consider other options. I know one option is Amazon Prime. Can anybody suggest other options? Or can anyone speak to the library offered by these other streaming services? Thanks.

they used to have a kick arse instant queue but now it sucks.

Daemonkin---i tuned you out after you referred to complaints as crying. That is insulting and I shouldn't have to tell you why. Hopefully you didn't post anything useful following that comment.

Back on topic-- I cancelled my two dvd at a time portion, as the price increase was too great, and I have a redbox less than a mile from my house.

When I want media, I want it now. I don't want to select something and wait for it to show up a few days later for me to watch it. Instant gratification and all that. Maybe I'm spoiled. Doesn't matter though.

If I had my choice, I would go completely streaming. I find messing with physical media to be annoying. Because of various factors (content providers etc..), I'm only able to get a slim portion of what is out there through streaming. I would gladly pay $30-40 a month for Netflix's entire DVDE collection to be online streaming. But that isn't available, so I'm stuck with 20th century physical media. So I kept a 2 DVD at a time rental policy, for all the stuff I couldn't watch through streaming.

I was incredibly lazy about returning my netflix dvd's as well. So, I might get a total of 4 DVDs/month. Because of the price increase, it is no longer worth it to me to rent those 4 DVD's through netflix.

Redbox is more of an instant gratification anyway. And cheaper over the long run.

I'm thinking about ditching my netflix online streaming plan as well. The content there is...lacking. They simply do not add content fast enough for me to be satisfied. I might resubscribe after 6 months or something after different stuff has cycled through, but eh, I'm not sure.

I won't pay for hulu +. I hate ads with a passion. I will watch an occasional free video on hulu with ads, but it is far from ideal for me. I haven't had a television in my house for over 10 years, and I find that I can't tune out ads like I used to.

I would gladly pay for hulu + if it got rid of the ads, but as it is I won't give them a single penny.

cry Parts of Speech: verb Definition: weep and make sad sounds Synonyms: bawl, bemoan, bewail, blub, blubber, boohoo, break down, burst into tears, caterwaul, choke up, complain, crack up, deplore, dissolve in tears, fret, grieve, groan, howl, keen, lament, let go, let it all out, mewl, moan, mourn, put on the weeps, regret, ring the blues, shed bitter tears, shed tears, sigh, sniff, snivel, sob, sorrow, squall, turn on waterworks, wail, weep, whimper, whine, yammer, yowl

Not sure I see your argument here. They are synonyms afterall. Regardless, I apologize, I meant no insult.

Daemonkin---i tuned you out after you referred to complaints as crying. That is insulting and I shouldn't have to tell you why. Hopefully you didn't post anything useful following that comment.

He is right on the money, Netflix is at a very important point. The wrong move will be disastrous to the company. They needed to reduce their streaming users to stay in compliance of the studio's contracts. If you view his post as an insult then you need to grow thicker skin, because it wasn't in any form what-so-ever.

If I had my choice, I would go completely streaming. I find messing with physical media to be annoying. Because of various factors (content providers etc..), I'm only able to get a slim portion of what is out there through streaming. I would gladly pay $30-40 a month for Netflix's entire DVD collection to be online streaming

I haven't decided on what to do with my netflix account yet, but I totally agree with you about streaming. I'd have no problem paying a lot to have their whole DVD collection available for streaming.

Its been in the news that netflix wants to get away from physical media all together, as shipping the DVDs has gotin expensive. Thats the reason for the price hike. Netflix wants to move to more streaming than anything.
Sure Redbox has the $1 a night, but its just like one of those old movie rental places, theres no guarantee that they will have a copy of a movie that just came out, or even on the shelf the day the DVD/blueray is released. At least with netflix, your pretty much guaranteed to get it.

One of the things I never under stood was, the day a new DVD is released, movie rental places have to buy a ton of copies, (Ever see Movie Galleries shelves when a new dvd was out?) What the hell do they do with all those extra copies once its been a few weeks and the new movie that just came out is down in popularity? Seems like a waste and loss on $$....

Back