• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where do the Pentium Dual Core Sandy Bridge stand in performace?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artas1984

What is the performance of these new Sandy Bridge based Pentium Dual Core processors?

I have seen some reviews versus the new Core i3, but i want to know how do they (G850 in particular) stack versus:

Phenom 2 X2 545
Core 2 Duo E8400

Probably there is no need to put in Athlon 2 X2...

Believe it or not, the New Pentium Dual Cores (PDC) aren't that great. The PDC doesn't have Hyperthreading technology, unlike the others you listed. I would chose the Athlon II. Im using a 4 core Athlon II CPU, which I bought at a 3 core Price. It works great and overclocks like a charm. The PDC's (as to what I've read) don't overclock very well and don't have great "Turbo Boost"ing. I would chose either the Core 2, or Athlon II, but it's all up to you

The others he listed doesnt have HT either...;)

As far as overclocking, well, it doesnt have an unlocked multi so you really cant overclock it (much) since bclk is extremely limited. That ability is reserved for the K series.

Also, there is no turbo.

Well now that we are working on good information, here is a link to a review on the chip. yes it comapres it against an i3, but you have to think a little to figure out that its better than the others you listed...

C2D was as fast as Phenom II duals if not a little faster. i3 was noteably faster than PhII, Sandybridge is notabley faster than i3. With that said, so long as you are not set on overclocking, I would go with the G850.

I am not choosing anything, i am on my own rig.. So i kind'a figured out that it would not have turbo boost or hyper threating, but i still don't figure out (non of you have mentioned) it's performance compared to cpus i listed. Of course, i assume the new series is supreme in performance to the older Pentium Dual Core G6950 - the only Nahalem based Pentium Dual core, but then again Core 2 Duo E8400 also (found some tests where Core i3 540 and E8400 were trading blows and both beat G6950)

EDIT: just found out that G6950 was the only Nahalem based CPU.. Weird, to give such a strange naming to the only Pentium Dual Core...

Last edited:
I thought I mentioned how it will perform. MUCH better regardless of HT (which those other chips dont have anyway).

I attempted to google for you reviews but that is all I found. You are just going to have to extrapolate its performance bro. I woudl still get it hands down over those others choices.

I have a G6950 in my server and keep it clocked at 3.5 on the stock cooler so IMHO you will get more milage out of a clark based Pentium. The G6950 is a clark as well not a Nahalem as you call it.

So if you are happy with stock and perhaps a little tweak the 1155 Pentium is fine otherwise get an 1156 or a 2500K

I thought that it was your signature, EartDog, not your answer.

It is hard to notice words written under "___________________________"

So anyway, i see that it performs just above Core i3 530, but i am not convinced that it is better than E8400:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2901/12

The 3.3 GHz E8600 beats the Core i5 3.3 GHz counterpart in gaming, so i am not convinced that the Pentium Dual Core Sandy Bridge would do better.

I have a G6950 in my server and keep it clocked at 3.5 on the stock cooler so IMHO you will get more milage out of a clark based Pentium. The G6950 is a clark as well not a Nahalem as you call it.

So if you are happy with stock and perhaps a little tweak the 1155 Pentium is fine otherwise get an 1156 or a 2500K

LOL, i am just discussing the new CPU, i am not interested in bying it for sakes. Why is it so common that when one asks about CPU, the others think it needs to buy it?

In gaming.. ok.. but logic says, why would you buy a processor that is 2 generations old that lags in every other area?

As far as just discussing it...you have been here for almost 2 years and see that a lot of new threads asking about technology are for purchasing. Im surprised, you are surprised people are thinking they way we do.

Take the purchasing suggestions out of my post and that is still my answer and I am sticking too it.

Back