• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 6950 CF issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

King107s

I'm selling my old rig to another guy and he bought two brand new ATI sapphire 6950 1GB video cards to go in it. I know some of you will want to comment that its so over kill compared to the rest of the hardware and I tried to save the guy's money but in the end its his $$ to spend...

Set up: Q9550 @ 3.825GHz (water cooled), 2x2GB DDR 1066, FSB 450MHz on a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5. Fresh install of Vista 64 Prem on a new WD Black with a new Corsair TX750.

System is prime stable, temps are great, everything is up to date including chipset.

Problem: ATI CCC 11-6 shows both 6950s but only seems to be controlling the first one. It shows that cross fire is enabled but when I go to the other card in the drop down menue it is showing me the temp as 0C and 000 values for the clocks. I tried to change fan speed and it would not respond. It let me move the slider bar to manually set a fan speed but when I hit apply it did not work. The first card does work when I attempt to change a setting like fan speed and I immediately hear the fan speed up.

6950 # 1

6950-1.jpg

6950 # 2

6950-2.jpg

I have tried fully removing the drivers and reinstalling them. I have also checked the power connections and reseated the card. Everything looks fine. I know both ports are good because I ran them in cross fire with two ATI cards before.

Do you think I should roll back the drivers to 11-5 and try again or is there something else going on here?

I haven't tried swaping cards around yet but I'm about to.

I have now rolled back to 11-5 and still have the same issue.

I tried different cross fire bridges that I confirmed are working as well and no luck either.

Going to test each card on its own now....

All other suggestions are welcome here.

May be a stupid ? but did you enable Crossfire in the Gameing tab?

Also IIRC what ever clocks you set the first card too the second will mimic that change...

As far as the fan issue goes my 6950s do that as well... So if i set it to 50% the first card runs at 50% and the second runs at 20%... But once i get in game the second ramps up to 50%...

So to me atleast If the second card runs at 50% in game then i dont care what it runs at on the desktop.

May be a stupid ? but did you enable Crossfire in the Gameing tab?

Also IIRC what ever clocks you set the first card too the second will mimic that change...

As far as the fan issue goes my 6950s do that as well... So if i set it to 50% the first card runs at 50% and the second runs at 20%... But once i get in game the second ramps up to 50%...

So to me atleast If the second card runs at 50% in game then i dont care what it runs at on the desktop.

Of course I did :)

OK so I put the second card in the first slot and it worked.

Then I put the first card in the second slot and put the cross fire bridges back on and went in and enabled cross fire in CCC. Now it works and is showing the clocks and temps!

I bet if I swapped it back it would still work so I'm not sure WTF I did but its almost like I had to run it with one card to 'reset' something in the software for it to recognize two cards... I know that sounds wierd but what ever its working now w00t!

Of course I did :)

OK so I put the second card in the first slot and it worked.

Then I put the first card in the second slot and put the cross fire bridges back on and went in and enabled cross fire in CCC. Now it works and is showing the clocks and temps!

I bet if I swapped it back it would still work so I'm not sure WTF I did but its almost like I had to run it with one card to 'reset' something in the software for it to recognize two cards... I know that sounds wierd but what ever its working now w00t!

I would just leave them how they are honestly... if they work why put them back and risk them not work? :D

But glad you got it fixed :thup:

Back