• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with Internet Explorer 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Unfettered

Registered
So when I click on a link that opens a new window it sizes itself into the top left corner of my screen. It is too small and I want to change the size it pops open at.

ie2y.jpg

However, I can't change the size it opens to, or change the location it opens to. And even more confusing is it randomly moves and changes its size by itself.

How can I permenantly alter the size and the location that Windows Internet Explorer 7 opens to when clicking on links that open new IE windows?

update to ie 8.... or better yet use firefox / chrome?

i seem to remember that IE remembers the size and position of the last window open... so close all other windows, then make the last window where you want it and its size...

but really.... upgrade to ie 8 or switch IMO.

IE7. That's your problem right there. :)

IE7 is a really bad browser - I would also recommend upgrading.

I mistakenly stated IE 7, when in fact I'm using IE 8..

I have tried to resize and close the window. But it always opens as posted, until it randomly decides to change its size and placement.

I am probably just going to go back to firefox. Microsoft has gotten complacent, as have many american industry leaders.

Posted by a user on extremeoverclocking.com

Ah yes, the infamous ie window problem.
Here's a quick fix: close all browser windows but one, size it to how you want it then close it. After that, all ie browser windows will open at the new size.

I've had this problem before but its so long ago I can't remember what caused it. My first guess is Yahoo tool bar. Uninstall it. It might also be Google tool bar, uninstall that if the Yahoo thing doesn't work -- reboot, but first do this next item.

Go to START---RUN and type command --- then "chkdsk /f" it will ask to reboot and then it will check your hard drive for corrupt files and repair them. It's possible that some critical windows file needs repair.

If that doesn't work go to the command window again and type sfc /scannow <--- this will repair windows files if they are corrupted.

You can also initialize IE with no addons by going to START--ALL PROGRAMS--ACCESSORIES--SYSTEM TOOLS--IE (no addons)

If the problem is gone, then you know its one of your IE addons that's causing the problem (again most likely a tool bar)

Last edited:
Go to START---RUN and type command --- then "chkdsk /f" it will ask to reboot and then it will check your hard drive for corrupt files and repair them.

All that does is scan the HDD the old fashioned way, it will not replace files.

Chkdsk is mainly intended for FAT.
And it's usually pointless with HDDs made after 1997.

All that does is scan the HDD the old fashioned way, it will not replace files.

Chkdsk is mainly intended for FAT.
And it's usually pointless with HDDs made after 1997.

Nope, Micro$oft dumped their scandisk application and went back to chkdsk for checking all harddrives. Chkdsk /f will find and fix files and damaged file structures on NTFS better than it does on FAT. And, chkdsk /r will scan an entire disk and move files from damaged sectors as well as lock them off.

You should run chkdsk daily on your machine to prevent the file system from having major damage over time. You should always run chkdsk before you do any backups to prevent bad sectors or damaged files from stopping or fooling the backup system.

Chkdsk also has several flags just for NTFS, /x forces volume dismount, /i chks volume indexes, /L changes the log file size....plus more.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

You should run chkdsk daily on your machine to prevent the file system from having major damage over time. You should always run chkdsk before you do any backups to prevent bad sectors or damaged files from stopping or fooling the backup system.
Good info ^. I've fixed issues on NTFS volumes with chkdsk, but running it every day seems a bit excessive. :) Doesn't hurt, but once a month is probably fine.

Either way, I don't think chkdsk will fix the issue with Window location. Strangely located windows tend to happen to some applications on Windows from time to time. I've never been able to pinpoint why. After a while it usually stops - the window decides it belongs somewhere else.

CCleaner has an option to flush the window size and location cache. You might try downloading it - it's a good app to have anyway - and see if clearing that cache sets things back to their defaults.

Last edited:
Nope, Micro$oft dumped their scandisk application and went back to chkdsk for checking all harddrives. Chkdsk /f will find and fix files and damaged file structures on NTFS better than it does on FAT. And, chkdsk /r will scan an entire disk and move files from damaged sectors as well as lock them off.

Sorry, incorrect. Chkdsk is pointless, unless you're living under a rock and still using FAT32 and it crashed or lost power.
Or HDD manufactured before 1998.

And Chkdsk finding a problem means you need to prepare a reinstall, anyways.

Means the installation's days are numbered. A stable system don't require a Chkdsk run.

update to ie 8.... or better yet use firefox / chrome?

i seem to remember that IE remembers the size and position of the last window open... so close all other windows, then make the last window where you want it and its size...

but really.... upgrade to ie 8 or switch IMO.

Posted by a user on extremeoverclocking.com

Ah yes, the infamous ie window problem.
Here's a quick fix: close all browser windows but one, size it to how you want it then close it. After that, all ie browser windows will open at the new size.

echo echo echo......

Re-size the window and close it, usually they save the last closed size.
I've tried this fix in the past. It's true that it usually (I would say 'often') works, but it often doesn't work, too. :)

Means the installation's days are numbered. A stable system don't require a Chkdsk run.

Considering MS added the /c and /i switches to chkdsk just for NTFS, I doubt the application is without merit.

There are many reasons why a HD accumulates file system errors including sudden power loss, improper shut down, improper startup, kernel software errors, undetected bad blocks and internal harddrive errors; to name a few. Your system is constantly checking and correcting errors, but it can't catch them all. Even NTFS is not indestructible and it does accumulate errors! Chkdsk is must tool to be sure HD corruption doesn't propagate to the point of failure.

If you have never run it on your HD, I suggest you do a chkdsk /f, its bound to find errors, cross linked files, and HD space improperly allocated.

Last edited:
Good info ^. I've fixed issues on NTFS volumes with chkdsk, but running it every day seems a bit excessive. :) Doesn't hurt, but once a month is probably fine.

There are some HD errors that if not caught within a short time can cause complete failure of the file system. Such failure can not be easily repaired.

Running chkdsk daily will help to ensure the integrity of the files system, it will find bad blocks and map them out (assuming valid files exist on that block) and it will make sure that the NTFS is self consistent.

You never know when a file error will occur and considering chkdsk takes only a few minutes to run, its cheap insurance. I just set it up as a scheduled task to run after midnight.

However, it is possible for chkdsk to fail and require a more complete run with the /f flag or even /r flag. So you must run chkdsk occasionally manually so that you can see if a more thorough run is warranted.

Sorry, incorrect. Chkdsk is pointless, unless you're living under a rock and still using FAT32 and it crashed or lost power.
Or HDD manufactured before 1998.

Sorry, but I must respectfully disagree. chkdsk is intended for both NTFS and FAT32. It has several parameters specific to NTFS.

Chkdsk can be used to address any file system errors which may occur due to driver-related corruption issues, drives being shut down incorrectly, failed system updates and a host of other reasons. I've saved many, many system and storage volumes on old and new operating systems, including Windows Server 2011 and Windows 7 with chkdsk. It is an invaluable tool in any service technician's kit.

Last edited:
Considering MS added the /c and /i switches to chkdsk just for NTFS, I doubt the application is without merit.

There are many reasons why a HD accumulates file system errors including sudden power loss, improper shut down, improper startup, kernel software errors, undetected bad blocks and internal harddrive errors; to name a few. Your system is constantly checking and correcting errors, but it can't catch them all. Even NTFS is not indestructible and it does accumulate errors! Chkdsk is must tool to be sure HD corruption doesn't propagate to the point of failure.

If you have never run it on your HD, I suggest you do a chkdsk /f, its bound to find errors, cross linked files, and HD space improperly allocated.

Watch out if you use Chkdsk. It may falsely report invalid files and delete them. I lost photos that way.

And NTFS don't mess up just from a power loss, because it has a journal.

FAT32 is like Ext2 in Linux.

Chkdsk's roots come from the time when HDDs didn't even support SMART and didn't support remapping.

Back