• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is SDSL better or ADSL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

milad_sm

hello again!
i was looking in some internet service providers' packages and i saw differrnt DSL types...
i wanted to know, what's the difference between ADSL and SDSL??
i know the A is assymetric and S is symmetric...but why is it that the download speed is much higher than the upload speed?
however in an SDSL, the speed was the same??
is that true??
well, there is this package of 1.5Mbps SDSL, which is cheaper than a 1.5Mbps downstream, 384kbps upstream ADSL. how's that so??
the packages mention that i cannot use the phone line with SDSL...
please point out the cons and pros of both of these DSLs for me! thank you!

They make download higher than upload because the average user mainly downloads and uploads very little. Servers are really the only things you would need a high upload speed on. As for why SDSL at 1.5Mbps is cheaper than ADSL with a slower download speed I have no clue why. I would probably go with SDSL in that situation. Maybe theres more of a difference in service other than speed?

PolyPill said:
They make download higher than upload because the average user mainly downloads and uploads very little. Servers are really the only things you would need a high upload speed on. As for why SDSL at 1.5Mbps is cheaper than ADSL with a slower download speed I have no clue why. I would probably go with SDSL in that situation. Maybe theres more of a difference in service other than speed?
I think it's more for the extra upload speed

In my area Ameritech's Central Office (CO) is very near my house. They have a plan for 128Kb/sec upstream-768Kb/sec downstream ADSL for $50/month. TDS metrocom, a phone service (POTS/mobile/data) outside provider leases Ameritech's lins to provide competing service. They offer 768Kb/sec SDSL for $45/month. Furthermore, Ameritech requires a second line for their DSL service. With TDS, they piggyback the signal on the same line as the phone service. This method requires phone filters, which they provide free, so the phones don't encounter any interference. While I was skeptical of having both POTS and DSL on the same line, it turns out that both my upload and download speeds are pretty close to advertised. Why is Ameritech more expensive for slower speeds? I don't know--but obviously, I went with the cheaper and faster service from TDS.

SDSL - Snychronous Digital Subscriber Line
ADSL - Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line.

ADSL is your common place, everyday DSL. The key is the asynchronous. It means that the speeds arent the same.

512/128
1.5M/384

Those are some common ADSL speeds that most ISP's provide.

Synchronous means the speeds are the same.

1.5/1.5
512/512

You tell me which sounds better?

mbigna said:
In my area Ameritech's Central Office (CO) is very near my house. They have a plan for 128Kb/sec upstream-768Kb/sec downstream ADSL for $50/month. TDS metrocom, a phone service (POTS/mobile/data) outside provider leases Ameritech's lins to provide competing service. They offer 768Kb/sec SDSL for $45/month. Furthermore, Ameritech requires a second line for their DSL service. With TDS, they piggyback the signal on the same line as the phone service. This method requires phone filters, which they provide free, so the phones don't encounter any interference. While I was skeptical of having both POTS and DSL on the same line, it turns out that both my upload and download speeds are pretty close to advertised. Why is Ameritech more expensive for slower speeds? I don't know--but obviously, I went with the cheaper and faster service from TDS.

Same here,
Version ADSL is 60/month
OOL cable is 30/month and like 4 times faster, and beleave it or not more stable then version even tho it's dsl

MoPMatrix said:

Same here,
Version ADSL is 60/month
OOL cable is 30/month and like 4 times faster, and beleave it or not more stable then version even tho it's dsl
cable is the same speed as adsl in the real world I know because I have had both.

Cable could be fsater than DSL in some areas. Your DSL speed depends on your distance to the switch while your Cable speed depends on how many people are using the hub. I could see my switch except for a few trees so the only factor that governs my speed seems to be the server on the other side.

For me, ADSL is almost a security protocal since the filter seems to limit my upload speed. I think they originally designed ADSL to force businesses to pay a higher price than home customers. I can't explain mbigna's situation, nor have I heard of DSL ever needing a separate phone line, it just needs them to be metal.

res0r9lm said:

cable is the same speed as adsl in the real world I know because I have had both.

I dont have normal cable =)
875/140KB/s
or 7000/1000Kb/s
Thats faster then t1, blows version out of the water =)

Back