• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do I need for Eyefinity?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chocobo

Do I need an active display port for Eyefinity or the two graphics cards alone are all I need?

Thanks

:comp:

Your sig says you have a pair of HD4850's. Are you planning to upgrade, as those won't support eyefinity.

I just got a single HD6950 (visiontek) with plans to go eyefinity.

Your sig says you have a pair of HD4850's. Are you planning to upgrade, as those won't support eyefinity.

I just got a single HD6950 (visiontek) with plans to go eyefinity.

Oh yeah LOL I'm building a new computer :p

I'm just getting everything ready for it. I'm just waiting for the Bulldozer to come out.

You need a 5xxx series + for Eyefinity sorry. But when you do get a 5xxx series + card you ou can get a Powered Display Port to DVI, and then run 2x monitors off the DVI already on the card.

You need a 5xxx series + for Eyefinity sorry. But when you do get a 5xxx series + card you ou can get a Powered Display Port to DVI, and then run 2x monitors off the DVI already on the card.

I would need two displayports because I am running three monitors. Yes?

I know I'm a noob :facepalm: lol

imageview.php

Ok see that picture?

dvi.jpg

You have 2 of these. Attach two of your monitors to these two inputs.

The two smaller slots on the left of the card (they look similar to usb ports) are your display ports. Plug in one monitor via the active display port.

If the card has a mini display port your are doing to need a mini display port to DCI adapter and vice versa if its a regular display port.

HIS just released an IceQ 6970 that doesn't require an active displayport to run eyefi. This is because it has a Lucid chip onboard. I am not sure the validity, but rumor is a 6950 is in the works too.

Sapphire makes a pretty affordable active DP adapter that will do upto 1920x1200 res. I use that with my 5850.

Back