• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very strange GFX crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Az00123

Hi, I've been having this problem for a few days now. The first few times I put some load on my PC (such as running a game, furmark etc) each day I will get a graphical crash within about 20 seconds. After about 3-4 crashes it will be fine and I can run any game/furmark burn in test without any problems whatsoever.
I'm currently using a Q6600 @ 3ghz and a gtx280 (stock), I've tried downclocking the cpu back to 2.4ghz and the problem still persisted.
Below are some pictures of the crashes (all when playing a game, when it crashes in furmark i get a block of single colour on my screen)

2hcmf7l.jpg
fw3jfa.jpg
166ynet.jpg

The 3rd picture is interesting as its from TF2 and on the right I can still make out the same lines that were there before the crash.

That looks like severe video card memory failure. First thing I would do is remove it from the board, use compressed air to clean the card thoroughly along with the PCI-e connector. If that didn't help, I would try a clean install of the OS and new drivers. If you have another power supply (or another computer to try it in), it is worth a shot.

Last ditch effort is to bake it. Baking just prolongs its life, so think about getting something else.

Almost sounds like a temp issue if it doesnt happen immediately.. what temps are you reaching before it gets wonky?

I took the gfx card out and dusted it and the pcie slot, everything seems to be working fine right now.
Thanks for your help.

Update: Problem still persisted, I've tried formatting and reinstalling OS with new drivers and still no fix. I've just tried opening furmark and it crashed when it got to about 82 degrees, normally though it goes up to about 105 degrees when its fully loaded on furmark (these are the numbers which furmark gives me though and i don't know whether or not they accurate)
It just seems to be a hit and miss when I boot as to whether the gfx card will crash or not when I put some load on it.

Are you using anything to cool the card, like MSI Afterburner? It may help, What OS are you running and what drivers are you using? Do the drivers install with out a hitch? You may try redoing the TIM on that card as it has been stated its getting too hot.

Back