• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive recommendation as well as Raid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lukee

I am building an XBMC box to store all my DvDs and BluRays.

Would you recoommend raid 5 for this? If not, then which one?

Which hard drives would you recommend?

I'm thinking of 4 x 2TB or so. That should be enough room for what I have.

Thanks in advance.

Hitachi drives, hands down. Stay away from Western Digital's Green/Blue/Black drives if you are using a real hardware RAID controller. For software/onboard RAID, you can pretty much use anything you want.

RAID 5 would work fine since you have redundancy since you don't need quick access times or write speeds for media.

Hitachi drives, hands down. Stay away from Western Digital's Green/Blue/Black drives if you are using a real hardware RAID controller. For software/onboard RAID, you can pretty much use anything you want.

RAID 5 would work fine since you have redundancy since you don't need quick access times or write speeds for media.

0+1 or 10 or 1+0 would also work well and I think give a bit more speed if you are serving multiple systems with HD content.

The SATA III drives are better especially in raid work so make sure you get them and not SATA II.

If you were doing well over 15+ HD streams, I would agree. For a home network, RAID 10 is way overkill and wastes more space.

If you were doing well over 15+ HD streams, I would agree. For a home network, RAID 10 is way overkill and wastes more space.

Multiple would be more than 5. I am using a single 2TB SATA drive with an external backup and I serve 5 + the server SD just fine.

Back