• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Legendary Deck (a keyboard mod)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CJ145

Deck keyboards are individually back-lit mechanical keyboards of extremely high quality. They come in several colors but never quite the right one. I am starting off with the blue lit Deck Legend (linear) keyboard. My main use for this keyboard is gaming, and will be reflected in the mod. The mod seems simple, it is to replace a few of the blue LED's with red LED's. With this keyboard it is harder than it looks however.

I could spend a few paragraphs explaining why mechanical keyboards are far superior to regular cheap keyboards, or why the decks are amazing, but there is already a great explanation of it on overclock.net

The keyboard is very easy to open, and their warranty covers modding! There are 11 screws on the back and then the 2 shells just pop off the PCB and support brace. Once the keyboard is opened you see this:
13576opened.jpg

10250back.jpg

Thats 105 mechanical key switches and 109 leds. Every single key and led combination needs to be removed in order to access the resistors on the PCB below the aluminum support brace which makes the keyboard extremely rigid. You could easily use this keyboard as a weapon hehe...

Now for a bit of math. :eek: There are 105 switches that need to be removed and 106 LED's. That means there are 422 solder joints that need to be desoldered to remove the brace. This would take hours with braid or a manual solder sucker. Thats why they make these:
33251hakko808.jpg

It is a hakko 808 desoldering gun. With a tool like this you can desolder the entire keyboard in about half an hour.

Top row removed:
49694desolderin.jpg

Now normally you would have to follow the traces to find which resistors you need to switch but, Deck provides you with a PCB schematic that makes life much easier. The next step is to remove the existing SMD resistors for the keys you want to switch and replace them with the correct value. Note: The red and yellow decks use a different method of powering the LED's (in pairs with 1 resistor per pair), to run more than one color you have to switch the entire keyboard to the blue, green, and white method.
20518barepcb.jpg

I found that 560ohm resistors worked best for my replacement 1.8v 20mah 3mm led's. It allows the red to be brighter than the blue at lower brightness settings and the same brightness at higher settings. The keyboard has 6 different brightness settings so you don't blind yourself with the keyboard. I was unable to locate SMD resistors at my local electronics store so I used some 1/8w resistors instead. Slightly harder to solder but not any worse than the SMD ones.
38011resistor.jpg

28018resistoron.jpg

Once I soldered in all of the replacement resistors it was time to reassemble.
23295keys.jpg

The tricky part of reassembly is holding in each individual LED as it gets soldered into place. Simply bending the legs does not provide enough support to solder them in facing straight up. This was easily the most time consuming part of the project.
34331ledsolder.jpg

Then it was testing time. Apologies for the blurry picture, I will need to find my tripod to take lit pictures. Two of the LED's were soldered in with reversed polarity so I had to switch them back (right ctrl and enter).
23400barelit.jpg

It is hard to photograph the keyboard in the daytime these two pics are the best I could do.
25540daylight.jpg

(Low exposure time to simulate darker enviroment)
17527fakenight.jpg

I will have some actual night time pictures of it tonight. Like most lighting mods it does not photograph well.

I have been thinking of offering this as a service if there is any intrest. It would not be cheap, but it turns a rare keyboard into a one of a kind legendary Deck. :D

Thats pretty cool. Where did you get the leds. I was thinking about switching the ones in my side winder to be blue to match my case.

wow, i was wondering about that, because they are so Booring with all the same color, and so un-inovative.
really who would want thier keyboard to be all kinds of functionally different colors anyways .

OhMyEyes.jpg
Oh me , thats right.

beautifull job, and now i know it can be done.
is that also a buckling spring or Alps

and how much would that cost with the orignal + the mod?

Love it.
Never had a LED keyboard but things like this make me want one oh so much more :)

Definitely a nice mod, and it looks like a lot of time went into this. However, I HATE mechanical keyboards...all the ones I've used are way too loud :p

Thanks guys!

Thats pretty cool. Where did you get the leds. I was thinking about switching the ones in my side winder to be blue to match my case.

I get mine from ebay in packs of 100 or so from asia.

wow, i was wondering about that, because they are so Booring with all the same color, and so un-inovative.
really who would want thier keyboard to be all kinds of functionally different colors anyways .

View attachment 97795
Oh me , thats right.

and how much would that cost with the orignal + the mod?

The orig blue is $160. The mod would be expensive due to the immense amount of time required. That is to change any blue led to another color, up to entire keyboard. Keyboards that start red would be more. If you are interested we can talk about it in PM and I will be putting up a service thread in the classifieds.

Pretty cool mod, is that a dvorak loadout?

Yep, the nice part about these keyboards is you can pop off the keycaps and rearrange however you want.

Definitely a nice mod, and it looks like a lot of time went into this. However, I HATE mechanical keyboards...all the ones I've used are way too loud :p
Have you tried Cherry MX switches? They are quiet. Most of the noise comes not from the feedback but, from bottoming out the keys which you will stop doing once you get use to the tactile feedback (assuming you don't go for linear keys like mine). The quietest switches are Tpore which can be read about in the OCN guide I linked in my original post. I have never had the luxury of trying a keyboard with them yet however.

Night time shot as promised. This picture pretty much accurately represents it at full brightness aside from it being a bit orange.
38903nighttime.jpg

Cherry browns, reds, or blacks are very quiet. There are probably others, but specifically those are the cherry models I know to be quiet. The Deck that isn't tactile is cherry blacks, and a really good example of a cherry black board. Probably one of the best available...

That said I prefer browns to blacks. Blacks seem to have too long of a throw to be a good gaming switch, where as browns actuate and deactuate at the top of the throw so are faster to respond to your key. Less missed keys for me. Also, they have a tactile bump, but no noise so they end up being a better typist switch, with the added benefit of being fairly quiet.

Cherry blues, specifically, actually have a part in them specifically to generate noise. You can't really type on them quietly because they're DESIGNED to be loud. In my opinion, blues are the worst gaming switch... but of course when you have a bunch of newbs designing keyboards, you end up with crap like the razer blackwidow: a gaming keyboard utilizing blues (the worst for gamign) that doesn't even do 6kro. ;)

this really bothers me becasue I'm left handed. I use my mouse in the left hand. Their "optimized" key matrix is only on the right hand side most times so the black widow is the worst gaming keyboard out there for me. :)

I use a das keyboard silent at home, and I love it.

CJ145 & Aynjell

I really don't know much at all about keyboards and their switches. My differentiation of keyboards are loud or quiet, that's it...lol. My experiences come from the G15 and multiple Dell/HP OEM keyboards at work. The noise of those keyboards were pretty annoying. I like my DiNovo Edge and other "laptop-type" keyboards.

CJ145 & Aynjell

I really don't know much at all about keyboards and their switches. My differentiation of keyboards are loud or quiet, that's it...lol. My experiences come from the G15 and multiple Dell/HP OEM keyboards at work. The noise of those keyboards were pretty annoying. I like my DiNovo Edge and other "laptop-type" keyboards.

Scissor switch is the least of the evils, but still, if you get an oppurtunity to try a keyboard with browns, please do. I think you'll be surprised. :)

It has no audible click, it's about as loud as any membrane keyboard.

Also, topre aren't really mechanical. they don't actuate like any other mechanical switch does. They're just a really really really nice membrane keyboard. So nice mechanical keyboard snobs recognize them as a good keyboard, but I don't know that they're mechanical.

topre_keysw.png

It's basically a membrane with a spring.

CJ145 & Aynjell

The funny thing is the Logitech G15 is a membrane style keyboard and so are all the dell/hp ones. Logitech does not sell a single mechanical keyboard even tho they have keyboards in the same price range. I have a brand new Dell OEM above my deck for secondary computers and it is louder than bottoming out my Deck with it's cherry MX black switches.

@CJ145

That is one amazing mod on that Deck. I do have one suggestion though. You may want to look at difusing the LEDs on the Backspace and Enter keys so that the red light spreads evenly through the lettering.

See what I mean?
deck.jpg

That keyboard has Cherry MX Blacks on it.

Matt... There are mechanicals for all tastes and noise tolerance levels. The reason you find them noisy may be because all the keyboards you tried had "clicky" switches on them.

Mechanical switches can be classified as:
Clicky -> These are the ones that make the "click" sound when you hit each key. An example of those would be the old IBM keyboards.
Clicky Switches:
Buckling Spring -> Old IBM keyboards.
Cherry MX Blues
White Alps

Non Clicky -> These switches won't make the "click" sound when you hit the key. An example of those would be the one being modded on this thread.
Non-Clicky Switches:
- Cherry MX Blacks
- CHerry MX Reds
- Topre
- Cherry MX Clears
- Cherry MX Browns

If anyone has the original pictures of this mod or has this thread archived, I would love to see this as I intend to modify my Deck Legend.

Back