• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati radeon 6950 1gb or 2gb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monovo

Registered
Hello

I'm gaming a lot and I wanted to know if there is a big difference between the 1gb and the 2gb, I mean, will I see a big difference when it comes to fps?

Also, if yes... should I buy it?
Because the 2gb is like 50$ more than the 1gb.

Thank you!

You won't see any difference except for eyefinity, but you can upgrade the 2gb 6950 into a 6970 and that will give you a lot more performance. Make sure it's a reference card.

You won't see any difference except for eyefinity, but you can upgrade the 2gb 6950 into a 6970 and that will give you a lot more performance. Make sure it's a reference card.

How do I know if it's a reference card?

Appearently the Twin Frozr II is unlockable too, for a much more reasonable price.

Twin Frozr III is $300. A HIS reference 6970 is $330 with a $10 MIR, honestly not worth it for that 6950 IMO.

Yes and you already get a good cooler. The 6970's cooler is loud and crappy so I went out and spend $70 on one to keep this thing cool. Get the MSI Twin Frozr III.

They'll both unlock. the III is the better card. But why not get a REAL 6970 for dollars more?

Thanks...but he 6970 is louder, and the cooler is not os good. Also, for the performance, the 6970 is a BIT better than the 6950. This does not bother to buy it

The III has a MUCH LOWER chance to unlock. You can do a google search and find all the people complaining, especially since MSI advertised that it would unlock.

If you game at 1680x1050, sure I'd say 1Gig as long as you don't plan on adding more displays. But at 1920x1080+ 2Gig will probably be the spot where you want to be with more and more games coming out demanding higher requirements.

As well if you are going to keep the card a while, get the 2gig period. Just because it will last longer more life. If its a short period of time (say within next 6-12months at most) then 1Gig probably would be ok even up to 1920x1080 with a single monitor.

Back