• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

project ex-x-blade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jameseboy

So, back in the day of me buying prebuilt pcs, i purchased a rather decent gaming rig, which came with a free "X-Blade case", now being about 8 years old or so at the time, i was excited by the flashy blue lights and the cool side panel, however as i aged, so did the case, and i began to relise that the cheap plastic bits looked bad, and the "chrome"(if you can call it that) looked worse.

For anyone who doesnt know what the X-Blade Case looks like, heres a picture of mines:-
P6150006.jpg
And heres a picture of the case as its sold:-
142516d1266706917-any-ideas-case-mod-s-xblade-sliver.jpg

So i decided, times to either bin, or mod this case, and seen as im needing a case for a home server that needs to look relatively nice, i thought, to hell with it, ill try my best. If nothing more, its experience.

So, i bought decided on red and black as the colour scheme and then decided i was going to add some white in also.

So, first off, i stripped the case down, took all the pci slot covers out (stupid pop out things with no screws) then cut the grill out from the 120mm front and rear fan sections.

I then spent some time reading into painting cases, as ive never really done more than a side panel, i thought it would be worth while and i found some interesting articles saying automotive or car paint is the best to use. So i went out and purchased some "Flash Red" Volkswagen paint and also some BMW "Sapphire black". I painted the case firstly with the red being for the interior and black for the exterior.
DSC01240.jpg
DSC01250.jpg
DSC01248.jpg

I then modified my side panel using a jigsaw and dremel (and with some nice metal files i found in my grandfathers garage) to make this design :-
DSC01252.jpg
DSC01254.jpg

My next step is to lacquer the case and make a new front panel as to be honest, the original panel is thee most horrendous front panel i have seen in my life.

I am also needing to:-
Paint fan grills (front and rear grills are going to be white and side panel grill will be black)

Finnish prototype front panel ive made from mdf so i am 100% sure i like it.

add Led lighting kit (white or red leds)

Make new front panel (im thinking about using 5mm thick acrylic to make it, however ive never bent acrylic and could do with some pointers as how to go around doing so(Im looking at a 90 angle in it))

If anyone could explain to me how to bend acrylic if you comment below i would be grateful for any assistance.

Cheers

bending acrylic is accomplished by heating the material to its softning point but below its melting point and then compressing the sheet into a form that will set its shape while it cools. I know this description is vague but if you had a particular idea for a ben in mind we can probably help you think through the jig you need to mold it.

For most people gluing acrylic is probably a better option. As acrylic is easy to cut with a table saw. This allows you to make good 90 deg corners which can be sanded round.

Back