• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Dead Playstation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Knew I should've traded mine in and got a slim before I left the states :(

I was really going to.

Now: YLOD

You could try the reflow, but be careful with that. I used to fix 360's and PS3's like that, however the PS3's were always more finicky.

Even if you fix it, normally it will come back.

You could try the reflow, but be careful with that. I used to fix 360's and PS3's like that, however the PS3's were always more finicky.

Even if you fix it, normally it will come back.

Yeah I know. I had it fixed for ten minutes and BAM... right back again.

That was with just a hair dryer and flux.

I need a heat gun. But in Spain? forget it...

In the same boat as you. Haven't taken mine apart yet hopefully though reflowing it does the trick...

As stated above, just be real careful on this. Blown capacitors can be a major headache.

Well yeah... you're not supposed to use it anywhere near the capacitors. Just a good go round on the CPU, GPU, and chips surrounding it.

Frankly if I had a heat gun (and time) it would already be done.

Well yeah... you're not supposed to use it anywhere near the capacitors. Just a good go round on the CPU, GPU, and chips surrounding it.

Frankly if I had a heat gun (and time) it would already be done.

try the oven trick?

hmm i had a problem like this a year or so ago and there was no info then, i guess giant ps3's were better bulit than 360s but now they are hitting their expiration date?

well we still have it so we can try it, i contemplated it before but disregardrd it, i also nabbed a few PS3 main boards from a dumpster

hmm i had a problem like this a year or so ago and there was no info then, i guess giant ps3's were better bulit than 360s but now they are hitting their expiration date?

well we still have it so we can try it, i contemplated it before but disregardrd it, i also nabbed a few PS3 main boards from a dumpster

Yeah. YLOD's been around for a while now actually. People just didn't believe it at first because there were so few reports of it.

I knew reflowing would ultimately work. I just hadn't seen THIS version of the oven trick. Really if ALL you did was the eight hour part and it reflattened and dried out your board... that alone would probably get it working again.

Dumpster full of PS3 motherboards?!? Jesus...

My ps3s been going for three days now in hot weather and still kicking.

Just had a few MASSIVE Marvel vs Capcom 3 sessions. I'm a happy camper.

yea one had a bottom half of a fatty and the heatsinks so i could probably run them through and test them to see whats going on with them. if any of them work or are workable i could bulid a few custom deals.....need a drill press for the bolt pattern on the heatsinks though but doable.

plus odds are they are pre anti linux firmware (i found them about that time) so i might be able to get a fleet of PS3 servers. mmmm render farm

is there a version of linux that takes advantage of all the cores on a PS3 mobo?

yea one had a bottom half of a fatty and the heatsinks so i could probably run them through and test them to see whats going on with them. if any of them work or are workable i could bulid a few custom deals.....need a drill press for the bolt pattern on the heatsinks though but doable.

plus odds are they are pre anti linux firmware (i found them about that time) so i might be able to get a fleet of PS3 servers. mmmm render farm

is there a version of linux that takes advantage of all the cores on a PS3 mobo?

There's a GANG of them now. In fact... Any version will do. But Ubuntu has the best support.

The core thing is really just a driver issue, and the drivers are now readily available.

Great find. Was this in the back of a game store or something?

no it was a electronics recycler...the irony really

that same night else where i found an old HP osiliscope (spelling i know) old 60's tech type

no it was a electronics recycler...the irony really

that same night else where i found an old HP osiliscope (spelling i know) old 60's tech type

An. ELECTRONICS RECYCLER?!?! What the hell is that? Do they have those everywhere?

Back