• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New i7-2600k hits 97 C on first boot, no OC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ambient temperatures matter TREMENDOUSLY towards overall temps! If you are sitting at 80F you are likely 8F warmer than you will be with it at 72F.

okay, that's what I figured. I'm guessing it'll go down after we get AC, so it looks like I'm good. Thanks for the help everyone!

Glad to hear that you got your heat issue sorted out! Just take all of our members' advice when you're putting on a heat-sink. It can take a bit of practice and perseverance to ge tit right. Hopefully, once you get A/C, your temps will come down from the mid 50's!

When fitting the cpu in a s1155 socket, you will hear a cracking sound, that's perfectly normal. It's a really tight fit. Still, make sure the pins from the cpu are all in and aligned.
g.

I've never heard a cracking sound when I put a CPU into a socket...

Yeah, me neither. I can tell you guys for sure it's a scary noise.
I suppose the sound comes from the cpu holder, still, it's an unsettling experience and kept me wandering for some time if I did do everything right.
But a google search showed more people with the same experience.

I don't know about the bios load, but I do have the cpu fan set to go 100% when at 50°C, lower temps it's set at value 20 in bios, but that translate approx to 50% fan speed in windows desktop. When I boot my pc I can hear the fan going higher and lower in rpm, in bios it's at a constant 100% with a cpu temp of around 50°C.
At the desktop in idle, the fanspeed is cut in half and cpu temp is around 30°C.
I would think the cpu should run cooler with fanspeed 100% opposed to half of that.

Ive only installed a few s1155 cpu's, and they were the hardest to press down. They made more noise than any before, so I know what you mean.

Ive only installed a few s1155 cpu's, and they were the hardest to press down. They made more noise than any before, so I know what you mean.

Press down? I don't know what you are talking about, they drop right into the socket like every other CPU I've ever installed.

It doesn't really matter if one experiences this or not. I did, and it prompted me to look on the internet if others experienced this too.
Pushing the lever down is harder than with previous builds I made, also the cpu didn't really wanted to slide in the socket as it used to be with other platforms, still, I made sure it fitted correctly. While pushing the lever down, the resistance from the whole mechanism creates a sound, you can hear the plastic, it's not really cracking, but it doesn't sound comfortable.
Apparently others experienced this also, and if one has not, so be it. Wouldn't be the first time.
There are three screws holding the cpu cover in place, the bottom one sits deeper than the top two. I unscrewed the bottom one a bit, and found there was no sound anymore setting the lever in place. The cpu bracket has a small sloop downwards, I checked this with a credit card, because of this sloop, a heatsink with a bigger surface than that of the cpu bracket stands a chance of resting on one side of the bracket, thus not touching the cpu completely.
Now ofcourse the stock heatsink has a round copper surface which fits perfectly in the cpu bracket since it is elevated a bit from the rest of the heatsink. Not so with many aftermarket coolers. Tightening the bottom screw all the way makes the cover from the cpu bracket fit tighter also. This is probably why the sound occurs.

I hope I made things a bit clearer, especially since english is not my native language, therefor I have to guess a bit about the proper names for all the cpu components. :)

It makes more sense in that it made a noise when putting the clamp/mechanism down. I was saying that just putting the CPU into the socket shouldn't have any issues with getting stuck or make noises.

Thanks for clarifying though, Bisquit.

Maybe he means pressing the lever down to lock the CPU in the socket. :shrug:

Yup, that's it. When I was locking it down, it made a noise. It works fine though, so apparently its just the mobo.

Back