• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much do you tighten the heatsink to the CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Garfield said:

Really!? So, I just tighten it until...I can't!? Won't that might put too much pressure on the die and just the CPU as a whole? I didn't really understand the heatsink directions. When you counterclockwise the screw, does it put more or less tension on the spring and does it tighten or loosen? Thanks!
it puts more pressure on chip when you loosen screw as long as you loosen them enough where you have space between the clip and screw head it is at full tension

ucfswimmer said:
simply screw till you cant screw any more ;-)

till its "finger-tight"...meaning dont screw as hard as you could like as with a pair of pliers, but simply till you cant turn anymore with your thumb and forefinger...if you go unterclockwise then the springs will loosen

Garfield if you do just the oppisite of what ucfswimmer says to do you will be fine.

I'm really confused. When you say, "if you loosen it, it will put more pressure on the CPU", do you mean the screw will go down!? Or, it will go up?

I go counterclockwise when I have both sides on teh socket. Then, how do I know when to stop!? :D Thanks!

Garfield said:
I'm really confused. When you say, "if you loosen it, it will put more pressure on the CPU", do you mean the screw will go down!? Or, it will go up?

I go counterclockwise when I have both sides on teh socket. Then, how do I know when to stop!? :D Thanks!
you want to loosen to make screw head go up. stop when the head of the screw has a gap between it and the tab of atleast 1/16" (thats about the same as the thickness of a quarter)

So I loosen the screw? Won't that take tension off of the spring? I don't see how loosing the heatsink is relevant. Wow, I'm really confused...

Garfield said:
So I loosen the screw? Won't that take tension off of the spring? I don't see how loosing the heatsink is relevant. Wow, I'm really confused...
yea I know its wierd the screw just compress the spring so when you loosen the screw it lets the springs do their job. if you have acrobat reader you can get installition guide at swiftnets.com go to support and the to the 370 the only differce between the 2 hsf is yours has the copper bottom
http://www.swiftnets.com

Garfield said:

ur obviosly not gonna understand, so why dont u wait till u actaually get the heatsink then u can experiment a little about what each thing does.

and please, people, dont reply to a thread unless u know what u r talking about. Obviously someone trying to "help" doesnt know for sure, so dont answer. your "help" may result in a very expensive mistake. So think before u post about something your arent sure about.

cjlax5 said:

ur obviosly not gonna understand, so why dont u wait till u actaually get the heatsink then u can experiment a little about what each thing does.

and please, people, dont reply to a thread unless u know what u r talking about. Obviously someone trying to "help" doesnt know for sure, so dont answer. your "help" may result in a very expensive mistake. So think before u post about something your arent sure about.

I have the heatsink already...

Garfield said:

I have the heatsink already...

so what happens when u do diffrent things with the screws? u could always do sort of a practice mount on ur mobo with a piece of cardboard in place of the processor and see how the thing works

cjlax5 said:

so what happens when u do diffrent things with the screws? u could always do sort of a practice mount on ur mobo with a piece of cardboard in place of the processor and see how the thing works

Yeah, I guess I could turn the screws. But, I don't know when to stop turning them! This is the confusing part!

Garfield said:
Alright, so I unscrew the screws until I am at that measurement above the screw?
yea thats all there is to it. pretty foolproof. I'm with cjlax5 no the bs replies. I hate that when the person trying to help has no more idea than you. heck most of the replies you have gotten they didn't know what hsf you even have.

res0r9lm said:
for water cooling your temp suck. a hsf would do better than that

Yeah! You think Fahrells temps are high? Just look my sig!
It's because we have 30C+ ambient temps here! :eek:

Ok, quite off topic...

So let me spent my 2c... with your hands, put pressure at heatsink/waterblock, holdig it on the right position/pression against cpu die. So tight the screws in diagonal patern til it get (light) struck. Voi-lá, you get it in position firmly and withou cracking or crushing anything!:cool:

MiracleMan said:

Yeah! You think Fahrells temps are high? Just look my sig!
It's because we have 30C+ ambient temps here! :eek:

Ok, quite off topic...

So let me spent my 2c... with your hands, put pressure at heatsink/waterblock, holdig it on the right position/pression against cpu die. So tight the screws in diagonal patern til it get (light) struck. Voi-lá, you get it in position firmly and withou cracking or crushing anything!:cool:
those are mighty fine instructions for an mc 462 or a alpha 8045 but don't apply here the way the mcxc 370 mounting is unique doesn't use the 4 holes like the bigger heatsinks do and does't use the springy clips eithier but does attach to all the tabs on the socket

that 30c is that day or night. I think I would build a case w/ an a/c unit in it to put your computer in. it get pretty here too about 27c during the day but I run a/c if it gets to warm

Ow yes, when I said 30C it's all day/night. Off course we get some 39C day and 26C. The coldest night I remember (raining) was around 22C.
Hehe, I put my case into the fridge...:cool:

*sigh* okay, I hope all goes well...

I'm still waiting for the 3rd hardware package to come in. Then I can start. It'd better come today! I want to build it this weekend...

You can probably take the screws completely out of the heat sink without causing damage to the chip, and by doing so maximising the force by the spring. The only purpose of the screw is to assist in compressing the spring and to keep everything from falling apart, the screw has nothing to do with how much preasure in put on the heatsink and the cpu.

Just back out the screw until it is loose(not touching the clip), then tighten the screw back down until it just touches the clip so that the screw doesn't move. Then you should be fine.

Brant said:
You can probably take the screws completely out of the heat sink without causing damage to the chip, and by doing so maximising the force by the spring. The only purpose of the screw is to assist in compressing the spring and to keep everything from falling apart, the screw has nothing to do with how much preasure in put on the heatsink and the cpu.

Just back out the screw until it is loose(not touching the clip), then tighten the screw back down until it just touches the clip so that the screw doesn't move. Then you should be fine.
ok Brant why do you think swiftech specifies 1/16 of an inch clearance between screw head and tab? maybe it's to get full tension of the springs.

i had a mc370 and it uses the same concept. res0r9lm got it right about loosening the screw (counter-clockwise) til it is 1/16 inches above the tab. that should be enough pressure on the core. the 370 setup is unique. dont listen to those who saids "screw it till it bottoms out" or "tighten it until it can go no more" or "screw them in an X array" this heatsink is completely different than the conventional heatsink.

you can test it by removing the cpu, then just try it and you'll know what me and res0r9lm is talking about the loosening the screw (conter-clockwise) to install this HSF.

this system is by far the safest way to put a HSF on. just slowly turn the screwdriver counter-clockwise, even it out on both side as you go along. until the screwhead is 1/ 16 inch above the tab. then it is set.

rjiemamam said:
i had a mc370 and it uses the same concept. res0r9lm got it right about loosening the screw (counter-clockwise) til it is 1/16 inches above the tab. that should be enough pressure on the core. the 370 setup is unique. dont listen to those who saids "screw it till it bottoms out" or "tighten it until it can go no more" or "screw them in an X array" this heatsink is completely different than the conventional heatsink.

you can test it by removing the cpu, then just try it and you'll know what me and res0r9lm is talking about the loosening the screw (conter-clockwise) to install this HSF.

this system is by far the safest way to put a HSF on. just slowly turn the screwdriver counter-clockwise, even it out on both side as you go along. until the screwhead is 1/ 16 inch above the tab. then it is set.
one other main concern is becareful not to scratch your motherboard when putting it on the tabs or you will be buying another one. that was what I was worried about when I put mine on not chipping or cruching core that would be impossable with this hsf.

Back