• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much do you tighten the heatsink to the CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
res0r9lm, Thats exactly what i said. Or thats what i thought i was saying.

Brant said:
res0r9lm, Thats exactly what i said. Or thats what i thought i was saying.
Just back out the screw until it is loose(not touching the clip), then tighten the screw back down until it just touches the clip so that the screw doesn't move. Then you should be fine
I just disagree with the tightening of the screw until it "touches the clip"

Making the screw touch the tab would just be so that the screw doesn't come out(very little preasure needed). There is probably very little risk that the screw would come out. This shouldnt reduce the force applied by the springs. 1/16" or no gap I dont think there is much difference. I know the 1/16" is so that the spring has max force at all times. Blah Blah Blah... Oh well.

Hmmm...I'll make sure I don't scratch the mobo with the hs&f.

>> that was what I was worried about when I put mine on not chipping or cruching core that would be impossable with this hsf. <<

You're saying that you can't crunch the die and ruin the CPU with this heatsink? I don't see how.

I just got in the last package and now I have everything. I'm going to build it Sunday (I'll have the whole day). I'm nervous. I really don't want to ruin anything.

Garfield said:
Hmmm...I'll make sure I don't scratch the mobo with the hs&f.

>> that was what I was worried about when I put mine on not chipping or cruching core that would be impossable with this hsf. <<

You're saying that you can't crunch the die and ruin the CPU with this heatsink? I don't see how.

I just got in the last package and now I have everything. I'm going to build it Sunday (I'll have the whole day). I'm nervous. I really don't want to ruin anything.
I would have done had everything together by now or would be up all night trying. when I got the stuff to build the computer I'm on right now I took the old one apart and put it in another case so I could use this case couldn't a took more than 2 or 3 hours but I was familar with the old one took it a little slow with the new one. I know you aren't going to get much sleep tonight.:burn:

I would really like to build the computer tonight, but there are a couple of things stopping me...

First of all, I still have a couple of pre-build questions that are being answered on this board...

Secondly, due to the fact that this is my first build, I want to be as awake as possible when I do it. I'm a little tired (didn't get a lot of sleep last night)...

Also, I think I should read the motherboard's manual before I start. Do you agree?

Garfield said:
I would really like to build the computer tonight, but there are a couple of things stopping me...

First of all, I still have a couple of pre-build questions that are being answered on this board...

Secondly, due to the fact that this is my first build, I want to be as awake as possible when I do it. I'm a little tired (didn't get a lot of sleep last night)...

Also, I think I should read the motherboard's manual before I start. Do you agree?
definetly need to take your time mine went so fast because I had my older compter apart dozens of time and the other motherboard I bought I was familar with. I was just saying that you will be anxious and won't get much sleep.

res0r9lm said:
definetly need to take your time mine went so fast because I had my older compter apart dozens of time and the other motherboard I bought I was familar with. I was just saying that you will be anxious and won't get much sleep.

Yeah, definitely! I'm pretty nervous though and I have to ask a couple of more questions in the AMD motherboard section and general discussions. So, take a look if you have the time/chance.

Here is the question about the BIOS I have...

And here is the question I have about the GHz limit of the Epox 8KHA+ that I'm worrying about.

I would appreciate yours and anybody else's input if they have the answers to my questions. Thanks!

res0r9lm said:

for water cooling your temp suck. a hsf would do better than that

my ambient temp is 35-37C... before the water, with your "hsf would do better than that" situation, my cpu temp was 56-58 C

compared to this i'm freeezing now... btw w/ aircondicioned turned on the temps are right now: 30C/37C...

Garfield, read all the manuals you have before...
use the springs... and don't let them loose, but don't tight excessively... use a good thermal paste before, like Arctic silver

check all the connections & cards twice

Back