• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600k oc question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

insanedeath44

Registered
hey guys i just got my corsair h100 and i was able to oc the CPU too 4.8mhz with 1.415 vcore the highs core reach 68. i was wondering if this is safe. i don't use my PC 24/7. i use my PC Monday throw Friday like 4 hours a day and i always shut the PC off when in not using it . but Saturday after 3 and Sunday are my gaming days .. ????? thxs in advance :attn:

That vcore is a bit too high for that OC, I would expect you to be able to hit 4.8 with around 1.35vcore. for 24/7 (every-day) use, I wouldn't want to be over 1.35-1.4v. the temps sound good though.

1.35v @ 4.8ghz stable? Where are you finding these cherry chips Janus?

As per HC, they did a test of 100 CPUs and they stacked out like this stable:

Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz
Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz
Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

From what Ive seen, these results are right on. How many people do you know running 5ghz daily? Not many from what Ive seen. You see a greater percentage running around 4.7, and you see a ton of people running 4.5ghz. I think theres a pretty good reason for that. Think of it like this. 5ghz is the new 4.5ghz. How many old core I cpus did 4.5ghz stable? Not many.

Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

From what Ive seen, these results are right on. How many people do you know running 5ghz daily? Not many from what Ive seen. You see a greater percentage running around 4.7, and you see a ton of people running 4.5ghz. I think theres a pretty good reason for that. Think of it like this. 5ghz is the new 4.5ghz. How many old core I cpus did 4.5ghz stable? Not many.
Why thank you! I thought I was the only insane one while reading that... apparently not.

I don't think he's finding cherry chips, either :chair:

Why thank you! I thought I was the only insane one while reading that... apparently not.

I don't think he's finding cherry chips, either :chair:

ok so back to the topic lol :clap: what u guys think about my settings? is that good or running to much vcore ? btw when im on windows cpu drops to 1600mhz and core voltage drops way down to like 1.00 something .

+1. Everything seems fine. The speed and voltage drops from in windows is just Speedstep kicking in. It's so that when you're not using the computer, it uses less power.

I haven't seen a chip that can't do at least 4.8-5ghz. I run mine at 4.5 so that I can use sleep mode with pll overvoltage turned off, but my chip is a 52x chip.

+1. Everything seems fine. The speed and voltage drops from in windows is just Speedstep kicking in. It's so that when you're not using the computer, it uses less power.

so pretty much u are saying that my computer will be fine ... im not risking burning something up ? good for normal use ? and gaming

hey guys i got a question what is the difference between manual voltage and offset mode ? cause i was running my CPU at 4.8 with a 1.415 vcore and this morning rock solid i set it too offset mode and i did +15 and my temps and vcore drop 1.385 and the highs core 65 (1.385 voltage rock solid stable)
should i leave it in offset mode or switch it back ?
another question should have PPL Overvoltage enable or disable ? or auto ?
my cpu is revision d2
thxs

Last edited:
offset mode allows your voltage to go lower when doing simple tasks.
Tasks that require just the 1600Mhz don't need 1.4v.
It saves some power also.

Your temps dropped because of the lower vcore, if you use auto for voltage the mobo sets a value that's certain to be stable, but in most cases higher than needed.
I found on my cpu a vcore difference of 0.015 can make a difference of 2°C.
Not important with good cooling, but with devices that are just on the edge it could mean the difference of going over 80, or staying just below.

In your case it's not a biggy, your temps are great, and since you don't use the computer 24/7 I don't see why you shouldn't take advantage of the offset mode.

My 2600k needs 1.385v. Setting 1.35 in bios doesn't cut it, but seems the same as your chip at 4.8Ghz. Alas, my cooler is great for 4.5Ghz, not so great for 4.8, but no loss, there is no performance gain in everydays use, or gaming running this cpu at 4.8.

Finally, pll overvoltage on asus boards, I believe I read several times it's not really needed, however, in the efi bios you will see next to the option when you highlight it a description. It will not increase stability on an unstable vcore, it can help in reaching just that higher overclock. I find this a bit confusing, it helps overclocking higher but doesn't improve stability?
Anyway, on my board it's off by default, and on later p8p67's it's on auto, I pressume a bios update would set it on in my case also.
I would say you can leave it as is, since your overclock is stable at 1.385v , you will have a hard time with the asus bios getting that vcore even lower.
That is ofcourse if you have an asus board.

Finally, pll overvoltage on asus boards, I believe I read several times it's not really needed, however, in the efi bios you will see next to the option when you highlight it a description. It will not increase stability on an unstable vcore, it can help in reaching just that higher overclock. I find this a bit confusing, it helps overclocking higher but doesn't improve stability?
Anyway, on my board it's off by default, and on later p8p67's it's on auto, I pressume a bios update would set it on in my case also.
I would say you can leave it as is, since your overclock is stable at 1.385v , you will have a hard time with the asus bios getting that vcore even lower.
That is ofcourse if you have an asus board.
PLL Override is needed past a certain multilpier usually. It will not increase stability correct. Why, no clue. But if you are walling at say 4.8Ghz (48x) to get past that, enabling the PLL Override will get you to the chips multi limit if you are brave enough and your cooling can handle it.

Exactly. Keep PLL overvolt disabled until you run into multi instability. Usually not needed until 48x or higher.
PLL Override is needed past a certain multilpier usually. It will not increase stability correct. Why, no clue. But if you are walling at say 4.8Ghz (48x) to get past that, enabling the PLL Override will get you to the chips multi limit if you are brave enough and your cooling can handle it.

I haven't seen a chip that can't do at least 4.8-5ghz. I run mine at 4.5 so that I can use sleep mode with pll overvoltage turned off, but my chip is a 52x chip.
+1 thats makes more than ,y 4/4 I talked about with Doz via PM... :rofl:

so I guess now we need 50 that cant reach 5Ghz stable to make those numbers right... :clap:

Back